Making calls?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rcd567

Rcd567

I want to make a couple deer (grunt) calls and a couple predator calls. I've made lots of bowls, pens, and cups, and want to try my hand at calls. Could use a little direction.

Where to get the call kits?

Do they have instructions as to drilling?

What would you suggest for a first time call maker?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

reddwil

I bought kits from Hut and CSUSA. Hut sells a bushing kit that works pretty well. I made my own later. You can print out instruction on CSUSA web site but they also send a copy with the kits. The biggest hint I can give you is , your Calibers are your friend. Measure good when making the tenons, turn it to small and you start over. Good luck and post some pics.

ronhampton

:biggrin:
I want to make a couple deer (grunt) calls and a couple predator calls. I've made lots of bowls, pens, and cups, and want to try my hand at calls. Could use a little direction.

Where to get the call kits?

Do they have instructions as to drilling?

What would you suggest for a first time call maker?

Thanks in advance for your help!
hut products---ron.

dogcatcher

Hut Products are a little pricey, but they do have the instructions for the grunt call that makes it easier to make. If you plan on more than just one or two there are cheaper places to buy the kits. Several callmakers on Custom Calls Online sell the kits for less.

Sberger

I got a duck call kit from PSI and it was not too difficult. Had to turn some cone type holders to hold blank because the drilled hole is 5/8". Pretty easy to do. Works well. Deer grunt calls require two blanks, I think. A bit different and probably more difficult. Do a duck call first!!!

dogcatcher

In my 2 cents of 40 plus years of callmaking the PSI, the Hut and most of the other duck call kits are more suited for calling the ducks in the city parks than in the wild. Get some of the good ones at Grassy Creek Game Calls or the inserts from Echo or Buck Gardner duck calls.

fernhills

I have been making them for a little while now and they are fun to do. Do google searches on game calls and you get a lot of info. I am not a hunter and i make them, i am not a writer and i make pens to. The people who designed the space craft to land on the moon probably never been in space. Have fun.. Carl

dogcatcher

Have fun at it, being a hunter you should not have a problem coming up with some good sounding calls. Remember with game calls the sound is the key to a good call, an ugly call that has the right sounds is great call. A pretty call that doesn't make the right sounds is just a piece of firewood.

Check the game callmaking sites on the net, all of the answers are out there. There is some trial and error to improving the kits to make them usable. Be prepared to make some scrap and soon you will be on your way to making good calls. Good calls can command some high dollars

HawksFeather

Check out the following website. They have a great forum there too and many tutorials.
www.thogamecalls.com

This is a great site and Al also sells some call making supplies at very good prices. There is much that a person can learn from the tutorials that Al and others have posted there. If you hit a snag send me an email and I will give you a call.

Jerry

Top Bottom