Make your

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

secord

Are there any DIY's or MIY's (Make It Yourself) turners that create their own center bands for slimline pens? Do you use metal, acrylic, plastic or a contrasting wood? I noticed that the center bands from Woodcraft have concave faces that seems to help in mating the upper and lower body. Kits from Rockler have concave faces also but not as deep. Do you create a slight concave face on the bands and if so how do you do it? I know that I could buy larger center bands but I thought, why not try to make some.

its_virgil

I use contrasting wood, acrylic slices, and any other material I think will work. I also use slices of soda cans on either side and sandwitched between thin slices of wood or acrylics. I mostly make modified slimlines where the lower barrel is a little longer than the upper. And, the upper barrell is larger in diameter than the lower. Sort of a faux euro. You may find the articles on my website helpful:Click on the second link in my signature. Also, I think there may be an article or two in the library. Here is one of them: http://content.penturners.org/library/pens/slimline_modifications.pdf

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Are there any DIY's or MIY's (Make It Yourself) turners that create their own center bands for slimline pens? Do you use metal, acrylic, plastic or a contrasting wood? I noticed that the center bands from Woodcraft have concave faces that seems to help in mating the upper and lower body. Kits from Rockler have concave faces also but not as deep. Do you create a slight concave face on the bands and if so how do you do it? I know that I could buy larger center bands but I thought, why not try to make some.

Last edited:
Top Bottom