Magnifier lens upgrades

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from azamiryou

azamiryou

I made a CSUSA magnifying glass (2-1/2", 050-2001) as a gift for my father. It looks great, but the optics are... disappointing. Does anyone know a source for good lenses that would fit this kit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Polarys425

I'd like to know as well. A nice lense with a bifocal 6x (or more) would be nice. Its simply a small area in the large lense that is a 6x magnifier. I use one all the time in electronics repair.

ldubia

I'd like to know as well. A nice lense with a bifocal 6x (or more) would be nice. Its simply a small area in the large lense that is a 6x magnifier. I use one all the time in electronics repair.

Perhaps finding an old lamp that has that lens in it or something and taking it out of the lamp or whatever and making it from that. I find things in thrift stores all the time. I just found a really beautiful piece of some kind of hardwood and am returning it and making a stemmed cup from it. Ya never know what you might find.

Otherwise looks for optics suppliers.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
At one time, there was a supplier among the majors (I think it was Hut) that had an inset in the lens. That half inch circle was 5x and the rest was about 2x.

I spent many hours on the internet looking for a replacement and also contacted CSUSA (or one of the biggies). They said the lens would be too heavy if it was 5x. Again, this was pre-2000, so it certainly could be different now.

Whaler

I made a CSUSA magnifying glass (2-1/2", 050-2001) as a gift for my father. It looks great, but the optics are... disappointing. Does anyone know a source for good lenses that would fit this kit?

Take a look at the Woodcraft #111158, it may be what you are looking for.

jskeen

magnifying glasses are one of the things that show up in surplus stores and on the internet all the time, just google for something like lens 2.5 or magnify 6.0 and do some surfing. I'm sure you will find either a lens itself or at worst one in a ugly plastic frame and handle, for small money somewhere. Probably with a little luck and a few phone calls you can buy 50 or so of them and sell them to the rest of us on the cheap.

Top Bottom