Lucite- What went wrong?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mapster

Sorry for the intermission while I was getting some kits shipped. I just drilled another clear lucite tonight and only used water as a lubricant/cooler. As far as I can see before painting there are no marks and no crazing. So far so good, have to wait till tomorrow for the paint to dry, but then I will let you know.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mapster

For all of us anxiously awaiting an answer to this question it has arrived! The following Guardian was made by drilling at 1100 rpm with lots and lots of pure water as coolant. I kept the bit cool and only drilled about a quarter of an inch at a time. With that done I painted the inside with a metallic silver (hard to work with). Then turned as usual. Looked like heat+wd-40+paint was too much for the blank to handle. So George, I don't know what you did, but this way works and I have proof. CaptG, thanks for the help, yet again your information was correct, I don't know how you do it, but you are very knowledgeable about everything. Thanks for everyone's help and hope you enjoy your lucite!

Attachments

• P5070005.jpg
    P5070005.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 90
  • P5080018.jpg
    P5080018.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 90
  • P5080019.jpg
    P5080019.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 96
  • P5080020.jpg
    P5080020.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 96

bitshird

Marshall, could the problem be due in part to the thickness of the blank after drilling? Nice material, but wow if it's this much trouble I think I'll try other stuff.

Mapster

Actually Ken, if you use water and are careful while drilling it isn't hard to work with. It just requires a little more care like a tru-stone or a palm. But then again, if you don't want the trouble, then I could always take all that trouble off your hands :)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Congratulations, Marshall!!!

Well thought out and great "scientific method" of problem solving. Tell your physics teacher (thermodynamics) you deserve "extra credit" for this project, maybe a small extra credit in chemistry, as well!!

Top Bottom