Looking for a car for my son

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

navycop

He is 20 and a manager at Papa John's. He has only been a manager a short time. He has average credit.. Thinking about CarMax, Driver's World or Auto Auction on Saturday.. Pros/Cons?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
He is 20 and a manager at Papa John's. He has only been a manager a short time. He has average credit.. Thinking about CarMax, Driver's World or Auto Auction on Saturday.. Pros/Cons?
I've read some reviews on Car Max and they seem to get good marks for the sales people and bad marks for warranty and service works - reputation is for being a little high priced. I'd look at local classifieds and dealers myself.

randyrls

Before you shell out the bucks, take the car to a mechanic you trust and have him (or her) go over the car looking for any obvious issues.

After major flooding, the used car market is flooded (pun intended) with repaired cars with damaged electrical systems.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Thanks guys.. My brother-in-laws (wife's brother and my sister's husband) know cars, but unfortunately they live in Ohio..
I have a couple of rules:
1) Never buy a car from or sell a car to a family member; 2) Never take from or give to a family member (other than siblings or children) about buying a car; to a family member; 3) apply rule one to friends;

Doing any of those things can lead to a pain in the toosh...I sold a car to a good friend, gave him a good deal. And still heard about every problem he had for the 4 years he owned the car. Years ago a girl I was dating got taken to the cleaners on a used car by - her brother-in-law. Friends, bought a used car from his cousin (who worked as a car salesman at a dealer) -- they got a "great" deal. They paid $400 more than the dealer asked me for the same car.

JimB

Used car prices also seem to be very high right now. If you look at new cars, basic models, and check the websites for rebates and financing you might be surprised on some of the deals you can get.

TonyL

I have a 2008 Honda Civic (loaded...believe it or not). It has 75k miles. I bought it from a neighbor with 8k on it. I don't sell cars to friends. Let me know if you want to learn more. I was saving it for my 23 year old son, but he says he can't afford it. I have all records...but it is a used car. I am selling it because my dad gave me a car...so now I have three cars and two people. It was garage kept up intil January. Not sure what I am going to do...but I wouldn't let you buy it unless a mechanic checked it out for you.

navycop

Thanks guys.. My brother-in-laws (wife's brother and my sister's husband) know cars, but unfortunately they live in Ohio..
I have a couple of rules:
1) Never buy a car from or sell a car to a family member; 2) Never take from or give to a family member (other than siblings or children) about buying a car; to a family member; 3) apply rule one to friends;

Doing any of those things can lead to a pain in the toosh...I sold a car to a good friend, gave him a good deal. And still heard about every problem he had for the 4 years he owned the car. Years ago a girl I was dating got taken to the cleaners on a used car by - her brother-in-law. Friends, bought a used car from his cousin (who worked as a car salesman at a dealer) -- they got a "great" deal. They paid $400 more than the dealer asked me for the same car.

Good advice, but wasn't saying I'd buy from my brother-in-laws. ust that they know cars and could check it out for me.

Top Bottom