Broke my tailstock

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Not a good day....I was going to work on a pen this morning but I couldn't get my tailstock to lock in place I tried to tighten the bolt a bit to see if that would help and it broke off. I picked the tailstock up to look at it and dropped it and that broke the plastic lock handle off. I called Harbor Freight to see about getting new parts but they don't carry any parts for that assy. I guess I'll call Rockler to see if I can find something. I think I'll see it I can get a whole new tailstock assy since I've been having other problems with it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks John for the tip, but I called Rockler and they have the item and it in stock. About $ 58.00 with shipping I should have it in about a week. I still cant believe that HF does not carry any parts. I may need to repaint the lathe gray so it matches the new tailstock. Maybe this one wont have as much play.

Fay Prozora

I have trouble keeping mine tight enough as well but so far it has been fine except for a little bit of rust problems I've had lately. I did order a new belt for the lathe so I have it when I need it. When I'm in my shop my lathe is running a lot. Do be safe. I had a tool drop on my big toe and it was as black as a horse's tail! And sore too. It was the T handle for my Barracuda chuck that fell on my foot. I was lucky my toe did not get broken but I'm fairly careful with my tools and I try to clean up and put things away when I'm done using them.... Fay

randyrls

Is this a Jet 1014 clone with a round locking washer? If so, this is a common problem. The round washer doesn't have enough surface area. Many moons ago there was someone who made square locking washers that eliminated the "creep". I made one then. but the lathe is long gone.

Oh; and it is certainly possible to make a wooden handle for the tail stock locking lever.

Last edited:

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
My new tailstock arrived from Rockler this afternoon I was so excited to be able to turn again. I was disappointed to find it was not a complete assy. Like I was told. I called Rockler and they are sending me all the parts it didn't have so it will be a few more days until I get the parts. I'm have to check the alignment of the head and tailstock one I get everything back together.

Fay Prozora

Glad you got your new tail stock. What lathe do you have? I have the Excelsior mini lathe. I thought about putting another washer on mine to help keep it tight, but I don't want to break the thing. Mine had a metal or steel handle on it tighten it to the bed with. Hope you get the rest of the stuff you need real soon and you'll be turning in no time at all. Good luck Fay

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Fay I have a Harbor Freight lathe, it's the same as the Excelsior. I'm hoping I'll have my lathe up and running by Wednesday.

Fay Prozora

I got my new belt from Rockler, but at t he time I ordered it, they were out of them. So it took a month and a half to get it but I'm glad I have it so when the one that is on the lathe wears out I have a new one to put on it. So far the belt has lasted me since last Summer. Glad your lathe will be up and running soon. Fay

I got my new belt from Rockler, but at t he time I ordered it, they were out of them. So it took a month and a half to get it but I'm glad I have it so when the one that is on the lathe wears out I have a new one to put on it. So far the belt has lasted me since last Summer. Glad your lathe will be up and running soon. Fay

Fay,
Don't know what you paid for your belt at Rockler, but next time you need belts, call the Belt Store in Lafayette, LA... 337-235 9736 I'm betting you'll get better pricing and quicker service.... I just order two for my Jet1442... can't find the sales ticket just now (Think it's in the shop and have to bring back to the house).. but seem to remember I paid just over $7 each, $1.95 shipping and I had them in 3 days. You'll have to call, there is a website -- www.beltsforanything.com -- but you can't order off the site... I keep one or two spares for both of my lathes at all times... I bought the new ones because my lathe froze up and I thought I would have to cut the old one off to fix the lathe... but was able to work it loose and save it, so now I have 2 spares....

Top Bottom