Long time not here

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
It's been a rough year. There's probably not many who remember me. But I wanted to drop in and say hi and I'm still alive . . . Not turning now, but still kickin.

I am really impressed with all the advances and creativity I see here now in pens of all kinds and absolutely amazing blanks now available. Makes my mouth water . . .

My dear friend and cousin who has cared for me for 15 years past away suddenly a few months ago. I've been trying to keep on. A few weeks ago I had to sell my bandsaw, drill press and some tools. Kaye's family trashed most of the wood I'd collected and had on the patio when they "cleaned up her things". The kids are planning on selling her house. But they haven't given me any clue as to how long I have here.

I still have my lathe. But I seem to have forgotten quite a bit. Does anyone know how to make blanks out of rose petals? I think I remember someone doing this before. I've enjoyed over 6 dozen red roses off Kaye's two rose bushes and have saved and dried all the petals. I'd really like to make some usable blanks I could make pens from . . . Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks all. Cathy Sue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pioneerpens

Hi Cathy Sue~I am sorry for your loss of your friend and cousin. It is nice to see you. While I don't know how to do the rosepetal blanks, i'm sure someone here will be able to help you. I am sending good thoughts and positive energy your way.

Jennifer:)

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
We remember and have missed you. I Wish I could help but I dont know how to cast the roses.

ctubbs

Welcome back home Cathy Sue, you have been missed. Happy and good Karma are pouring your way. I am so sorry to hear of your multiple losses. My heart goes out to you. I also am sorry that I have no idea about the casting, they would be so very beautiful, however, if you are in need of some West Kentucky wood blanks, PM me and I'll try to scratch up a few and send them your way.
Once more Cathy Sue, Welcome home. Glad to see you again.
Charels

Drstrangefart

I'm sorry for the series of losses you've suffered. My only suggestion with the petals, especially if they're dried is to just float them in a resin casting. You MIGHT be able to glue them down to the tubes and cast clear over them, but that seems like it wouldn't work out too well. I hope you find something you can do with them. I was fortunate to get a belt my uncle owned before he passed away and turn the leather into a few pens for me and my family.

Lenny

I certainly remember you, Cathy Sue, .... you were always the first (in Hank Lee's absence) to welcome new members and steer them to past posts and articles that would help them get started!

You have been missed!

Sorry to hear of your loss!

Kretzky

Hi Cathy Sue, sorry for you loss, life sometimes just doesn't seem fair! Although new here I do remember your name from a while back (I've lurked for quite a while) Sorry I can't help with the rose petal casting, it sounds like a great idea. I hope that your life turns in a new, better more positive direction soon!
David

Last edited:
It's wonderful to have you back! I was one of the lucky recipients of one of your "noob" boxes. Praying for you as you go through this time.
For the rose: I'd suggest the same as Drstrangefart. If you can bend them and glue them to a painted tube it might be easier to tell what they are as opposed to floating them.

If you need some materials or that pen turned I'd be willing and happy to send things along your way.

Respectfully,
Michael

flyitfast

Glad to see you back, Cathy Sue. I'm not one of the guys with a lot of longevity in the forum, but I do remember you.
Sorry for your loss and hope you can spend some time with us.
Rose petals and bluebonnet petals are different but Mesquiteman (Curtis) has cast bluebonnets in the past and might have a suggestion on a way to cast your roses.
Good luck. I'd like to see the blanks when you find a way.
gordon

leehljp

Member Liaison
I too, am glad to see you back, and your posts have been missed. Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I will lift you in prayer for your future needs.

Please keep us informed on the rose petal casting.
Are there any woods that were thrown away that you are really missing? With all of the help that you have given out here in the past, I am sure we can replinish some of your stock and be honored to help.

Hank Lee

Last edited:

clapiana

welcome back Cathy sue I have also said a prayer for you. I would also be happy to send you some blanks to get you started again. please pm me and I will get you out a box.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. It is good to be back here. I might not be able to check in every day. But I'm planning on being around again.

There are so many things I need to learn again.

I like the idea of glueing the petals on the tubes and casting them. I hadn't thought of that. Thank you again.

Welcome back Cathy! You are remembered and wished the best in your near and distant future. Sympathy goes out to you for your loss. Hope you can hang around and use this site as your therapy, there are many here to help and encourage you.

Fred

Welcome back to the family of friends you have here on the Forum. You have been missed and we are fortunate that you are once again back here.

I haven't ventured into the realm of casting yet, but I am sure that your friend will be very pleased with your efforts.

bitshird

Cathy Sue I remember you quite well, and am very sorry to hear of your loss, I do hope things turn around soon for you, but Cindy is right Jay Devlin did some about 3 or 4 years ago, I remember one of the issues he had was the petals being dry enough to cast but not crumble while wrapping it around the tube.
As I remember from some of his posts, that's the tricky part, I believe that CA was used as a barrier to prevent that slight bit of moisture required so the petals stay in one piece.
Perhaps he could make a set for you to turn, it sure is nice to have you back for a while any way, Good luck and prayers for you.

Ken

Last edited:
Top Bottom