Long click made into pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

Hey Ed,
Do you mean using the Schmidt conversion? I have not but have one I can try it on one. I also have a long clicker pencil kit if needed.

Will be late tonight or tomorrow but can check if you need.

CREID

Ok, I am subscribing to this thread. I am very interested in this topic, so I expect results.:)

Curt

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey Ed,
Do you mean using the Schmidt conversion? I have not but have one I can try it on one. I also have a long clicker pencil kit if needed.

Say wha?????

I didn't know there was such a thing. So, I went to CSUSA's website and still can't find it----can you give a link, please???

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The reason I ask is I get a couple calls each month asking for a good pencil. I am at a loss, cause I would not describe any of them as "good".

Today, the person said she was looking for the long click made into a pencil and she said she had seen one. This sounds like it could be a "good" pencil, so I am interested in more information from anyone who might know.

She would like to buy the pencil, so it could also result in you getting a customer (I don't make pens or pencils any more--don't want to compete with my customers--YOU!!)

Thanks for any help!!

Ed

zig613

CSUSA made a long click to match their ballpoint a few years ago. All I can remember is that the length of the brass tube was a little longer vs. the ballpoint. I think I still have a couple of brass tubes in the shop somewhere. Here is a link on another forum showing a picture of one Long Click Pencil

Wade

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
CSUSA made a long click to match their ballpoint a few years ago. All I can remember is that the length of the brass tube was a little longer vs. the ballpoint. I think I still have a couple of brass tubes in the shop somewhere. Here is a link on another forum showing a picture of one Long Click Pencil

Wade

I was unable to open the photo, I got a message saying "the connection has been reset"

So, I googled it and came up with this. It appears they are in stock at Rockler.
Long Wood Style Gold Click Pencil Turning Hardware Kit | Rockler Woodworking and Hardware

magpens

I was able to open the photos with no problem. Thanks for the Rockler link, Mike.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I will order a few of the pencils from Rockler and see where it leads.

Still interested in any feedback on this or other "good" pencils.

Thanks!!!

southernclay

/quote]

Say wha?????

I didn't know there was such a thing. So, I went to CSUSA's website and still can't find it----can you give a link, please???[/quote]

Hey Ed,
Zig is correct, the kit I have was second hand. Really glad I posted too b/c he may have solved a mystery.

BTW, tried to lead mechanism in the clicker and it wouldn't fit, the top of the one I have wouldn't fit. I have one I added onto an order from Timberbits. I've yet to have a request for pencil so haven't made one other than a sketch pencil. I don't have a Schmidt lead mechanism so may be worth trying one of those if anyone has one?

Wade

Wade you are the man for solving this! Read this link
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/thanksgiving-pen-dad-127904/

So I had two second hand kits, one pencil and one clicker pen. Apparently at some point the tubes in the kits were crossed up.

So I now have a pencil kit with too short of a tube it seems, glad to know that so I don't have a mess with that one. If it is convenient would you mind to measure the tube you have for it? I can pick up some 3/8" tubes and cut one to size.

Sorry to muddle up your post Ed!

BTW not sure if the link will work but here is a 2009 link to the clicker pencil kit courtesy of the Internet Wayback Machine link Don Ward posted a while back.
https://web.archive.org/web/2009032...ts___Clicker_Pencil_Kit___clicker_pencil?Args=

KenV

Ed -- the perfect fit works with the schmidt pencil insert -- hence the lable "convertable". Just finishing a short run of these in snakeskin. Will provide them with a pencil insert.

But the perfect fit is a twist and not a click.

thewishman

I've had great results with both Perfect Fit and Cigar pencils.

The Perfect Fit is a great kit! The transmission is solid, the looks are good, and you can switch back and forth from pen to pencil with a change of the insert.

zig613

[/quote]

Wade you are the man for solving this! Read this link
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/thanksgiving-pen-dad-127904/

So I had two second hand kits, one pencil and one clicker pen. Apparently at some point the tubes in the kits were crossed up.

So I now have a pencil kit with too short of a tube it seems, glad to know that so I don't have a mess with that one. If it is convenient would you mind to measure the tube you have for it? I can pick up some 3/8" tubes and cut one to size.
[/quote]

Warren,

The pencil brass tube length is 4.391 inches and the ballpoint brass tube length is 4.116 inches.

Wade

KenV

Ed, I had several of the Schmidt pencil inserts out today for the perfect fits and grabbed a Long Click to see if they would exchange with the parker refill like they do in the perfect fit.

Issue I found was that there is a small flange at the top of the Schmidt Pencil insert that extends a bit too far to make it through the nib threads at the nib end of the pen.

Not being driven to prove success, and not wanting to take the chance of trashing an insert committed to the perfect fits, I did not take the next step of knocking a few thousands off that little flange.

Looks like a fast modification to the pencil insert will bring a decent pencil to the forefront using the Long Click (as a convertible pen/pencil).

magpens

Isn't the Perfect Fit a twist pen ?

If so, will the matching pencil mechanism work in the Long Click even if it does fit ?

I am not sure how the pencil inserts function ... do they work in both twist and click pens ?

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I will order a few of the pencils from Rockler and see where it leads.

Still interested in any feedback on this or other "good" pencils.

Thanks!!!
The Rockler Long wood kits carry a Dayacom manufacturer's part number Ed. So they might be a source - 131-2952 is Dayacom's number. They still list an MOQ but don't have any specific finishes listed so it might be discontinued but they also show a matching pen.

KenV

If so, will the matching pencil mechanism work in the Long Click even if it does fit ?

I am not sure how the pencil inserts function ... do they work in both twist and click pens ?

Mal - the twist action on the Perfect Fit translates to a downward action on the plunger inside the transmission which pushes the parker style refill down.

In the click the button pushes down.

If it works on the Perfect Fit, and the clearance is provided through the nib in fitting (the one the nib threads onto, it should work. The reason it would not is if the hole in the click mechanism is larger than the black top extension on the pencil refill. In the perfect fit the hole is quite small. Cannot see it in the top of the Long Click I had in hand. I probably have one in "inventory" but I use a jumble organization system and did not want to go on a treasure hunt.

CREID

Mal - the twist action on the Perfect Fit translates to a downward action on the plunger inside the transmission which pushes the parker style refill down.

In the click the button pushes down.

If it works on the Perfect Fit, and the clearance is provided through the nib in fitting (the one the nib threads onto, it should work. The reason it would not is if the hole in the click mechanism is larger than the black top extension on the pencil refill. In the perfect fit the hole is quite small. Cannot see it in the top of the Long Click I had in hand. I probably have one in "inventory" but I use a jumble organization system and did not want to go on a treasure hunt.
You know we have an active thread on organizing going on.:biggrin:

Curt

magpens

Ed B and Ken V ~~

About trimming down that "flange" at the top of the Schmidt pencil mechanism ~

I think you need to be very careful about trimming down the "flange" at the top end.

I made a convertible El Grande today and tried the Schmidt pencil mechanism in it. Works fine, but I get the distinct impression that flange serves an important purpose.
The mechanism seems rather delicate and its functioning seems to be critically dependent on the length of the chamber it sits in. The flange seems to control the positioning in the chamber.

KenV

Ed B and Ken V ~~

About trimming down that "flange" at the top of the Schmidt pencil mechanism ~

I think you need to be very careful about trimming down the "flange" at the top end.

I made a convertible El Grande today and tried the Schmidt pencil mechanism in it. Works fine, but I get the distinct impression that flange serves an important purpose.
The mechanism seems rather delicate and its functioning seems to be critically dependent on the length of the chamber it sits in. The flange seems to control the positioning in the chamber.

The ones I am looking at show that flange to be a stop for the down stroke by blocking the "black" action piece from moving downward to far. One could file a few thousands without changing that function. it also appears to stiffen the outer barrel some. I would not cut it off. Trimming a bit should not be a big problem and it will not need much to go into a Long Click.

magpens

Ken and Ed B,

Actually you are right, Ken . I bit the bullet and tried it . A tiny little bit of sanding and the Schmidt mechanism went right into the Long Click pen . The flange is still almost fully intact . Pushing the plunger causes the lead to extend !

I had to make a little retainer consisting of 3.5 turns of 20 ga copper wire around the metal nib cylinder of the Schmidt to keep it from extending too far out the nib of the Long Clicker.

Now there is another problem ... the Schmidt is about 1 mm too short - it slides back and forth by about that much. But I can write with it and retract, so I guess we have proved that the principle works.

Last edited:

chrisk

Hey Ed,

Say wha?????

I didn't know there was such a thing. So, I went to CSUSA's website and still can't find it----can you give a link, please???

I've made a few Clicker pencils when CSUSA offered this kind of kits. But I stopped making them for, unlike their ball pen counterparts, the pencil kits were of poor quality...

The reason I ask is I get a couple calls each month asking for a good pencil. I am at a loss, cause I would not describe any of them as "good".

Today, the person said she was looking for the long click made into a pencil and she said she had seen one. This sounds like it could be a "good" pencil, so I am interested in more information from anyone who might know.

She would like to buy the pencil, so it could also result in you getting a customer (I don't make pens or pencils any more--don't want to compete with my customers--YOU!!)

Thanks for any help!!

Ed

As for the Clicker pen I modify into a pencil (by shortening the barrel and adding a Schmidt DSM2007 mechanism + Parker spring), I can insure this pencil. And of course I'd be glad to sell one to the lady you're referring to.

Top Bottom