Live and Learn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

carlmorrell

I've been a woodworker over 50 years. I still do stupid stuff. Forever, I have used old cutoffs to elevate a project while applying finish. Lately, I have tried my hands at a few cutting boards. I was in our new Rockler store and decided to try finishing pucks. They are a good way to screw up your work. I just found many little divots where the pucks damaged the wood. Maybe the puck would be ok for a brushed finish, but not rubbed.

I went to Rockler website to leave a negative review. I have NEVER left a negative review of a product. But this pissed me off. Apparently, the website is not convinced I m worthy of leaving feedback, since it does not know it was an instore as opposed to a online purchase.

Anyway, back to using old cutoffs. I might try flattening the spikes, for now, at least they are not in the trash.

pacer_3iii

They're like the little plastic pyramids and leave a very small divot. If you didn't know that was going to happen, it can be a pain, but you have to be either really gentle or using light material to avoid marks. Nothing is perfect, but those make much smaller marks than some alternatives.

jttheclockman

I use the old tried and true method of sheetrock screws through pieces of plywood. The tip of those screws are so fine you do not see the marks. If doing a second coat just move the board over.

Top Bottom