Little Sister

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

My little sister is always whining that she needs a bowl for a centerpiece. My mother gets involved and says you really need to make your sister a bowl. I say I have given her a couple of bowls. Mom says but she needs a centerpiece. You would think that a man nearing 60 would not have to worry about his sister telling on him. Hopefully, this natural edge walnut bowl will satisfy them. image.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Wonderful bowl! But it's too small; too thin; are those the real colors; did you want it to look that way; will the edges fall off.......:eek::eek::eek::eek:

But hey! It is actually a very nice bowl!

(Fill it with Dove Chocolate Pieces, or Godiva Truffles)!!! Not that I know from experience...

Cwalker935

The bowl is 10.5 inches at its widest and 5 inches tall. I do worry about the edges and the coloring seems unusual to me. This is the first walnut that I've turned and I was surprised by all the white coloring. I expect it will darken but am not sure. Any walnut experts out there?

mmyshrall

I can't be 100% certain from the photo, but you might have an english walnut bowl there. In any event, it looks very nice and I like how you handled the natural edge.

Michael

Ice31

The bowl is 10.5 inches at its widest and 5 inches tall. I do worry about the edges and the coloring seems unusual to me. This is the first walnut that I've turned and I was surprised by all the white coloring. I expect it will darken but am not sure. Any walnut experts out there?

Looks like it was as pretty good size tree so you would have a good portion of sap wood which is the lighter color. Little bigger section than I would have anticipated, but I assume that the bottom of the bowl is darker like walnut most are used to. I always try to get pieces that are on the breaking point so I get a good marbleization effect.

Cwalker935

The log was around 21 inches in diameter and yes the bottom of the bowl is dark. The sides of the bowl not pictured have dark spots as well. I was not expecting the sap wood to be that thick.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
The natural edge is great! I am by no means proficient at bowl turning, but... I suspect it will dry out even more, possibly crack, and possibly lose some of the edge. If it is not a "sealed" bowl, it will "move". Excuse me if you are an experienced turned... But, if it cracks - use a "fill" for the cracks! (Ca and sawdust; CA and colored coral; inlace, etc...) Many options to create something nice out of a "cracked" item.

This can create a beautiful piece! - so wait and see.

However... The initial effort on this project is GREAT! Time will give you more feedback that I! And your next effort in 6 months will have experience on it's side!

(I have 45, 12" long Black Walnut limbs drying. 4" - 12" in diameter. Later this year I will start to cut them up and experiment. They are seal-coated, drying slowly. Been cut for 14 months now. I still expect them to be somewhat "green" and need to dry before final turning.)

Oh... HAVE FUN!

Curly

As others have said, a very nice bowl. You sister will never be satisfied. Nature of the beast. :wink:

The light coloured sapwood is going to stay that way. Commercial kilns dry the wood with steam and the heat changes the sapwood to dark like the heartwood. It doesn't change when air dried. The proportion of sapwood to heartwood reduces as the tree grows bigger and older. Branches and young trees have lots of new growth. Enjoy the contrasts. :)

Top Bottom