Little Help Please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dhallnc

dhallnc

My daughter, who is 19 now, had a disease that cost her both her hip joints before she was 15. She had a complete fusion on one hip and a total replacement on the other. This has left her unable to bend down to do things like put on socks and shoes. She also can't shave her lower legs.

My experience with turning is a whopping 4 slimlines, but I have bought a razor kit that I want to make with a handle that is longer than the kit instructions and tube are. I have a few extra 7mm tubes in needed.

I bought a piece of hardwood dow that I can cut & turn to size. I'm thinking the handle should be 12"-15" or so.

Any suggestions on the best way to do this?

Thanks
Darryl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Easy!

Hi Darryl,
The handle doesn't have to be drilled all the way through. Drill in from each end far enough to seat a piece of the brass tubing. Turn and finish it between centers, with no mandrel. Can be made as long as your lathe will handle. You could even make a two piece handle with a piece of the tubing as a union in the center.
Good Luck and hope it works for you.

dhallnc

Thanks for the reply Larry.
Remembering that I am new to turning, I do not have a 60 deg. dead center, but I have a 60 deg. live center, the live center that came my lathe and the spur center. How would I go about turning between centers?

Padre

Darryl,
The easiest way is to get a 60 degree center from JohnnyCNC. They are priced right and you will get it really fast. Use that in conjunction with your 60 degree live center and you'll be all set.

Also, see if John has any between center bushings that would fit your needs. If he does, then that just made the job so much easier.

Thanks for the reply Larry.
Remembering that I am new to turning, I do not have a 60 deg. dead center, but I have a 60 deg. live center, the live center that came my lathe and the spur center. How would I go about turning between centers?

If I was closer I'd give you a dead center, they're only about $5. If your mandrel is one of the univeral ones you might get away with sinking it's shaft most of the way into the morse taper adaptor leaving only about 2" out to hold your handle with the tailstock live center. If not, drill one end as deep as you can, glue in the brass, and use bushings or another blank to space your handle out enough so that the tailstock pressure will hold it firmly enough to turn. Maybe you might be able to do a reasonable job that way. Other than that, get to a machinist supply in your area and grab a dead center to fit your headstock. You will have to turn to a diameter to match the kit parts so you will need some kind of caliper to measure that.

Padre

I also think Larry is on to something for you. Make an extra long blank and insert the tubes in either end. That way you have a seamless blank that will stand up to the pressure of shaving.

And after reading your post, John does make various 7mm bushings that may fit the bill for the razor. I've never turned one so I don't know what size would fit, otherwise I'd tell you!

Padre

Darryl, if you ordered today you'd have the center and bushings by Tuesday probably. He ships almost instantaneously. I know that he is down with his terrible accident, but his wife Penny is tremendous and pitching in to help. I'm in Connecticut, and I ordered from John on December 8 and I got it December 11.

dhallnc

I've got the kit bushings & calipers.

What about this:
Lathe has 16" between centers. I would like a finished handle of 14. If I cut the stock to 16", drill one end, clue in the tube and square it like a pen. Mount the drilled end to the live center and the other end to the spur center. turn the tube end to size using calipers and just shape and part off the other end at 14".

I don't need the end cap.

I've got the kit bushings & calipers.

What about this:
Lathe has 16" between centers. I would like a finished handle of 14. If I cut the stock to 16", drill one end, clue in the tube and square it like a pen. Mount the drilled end to the live center and the other end to the spur center. turn the tube end to size using calipers and just shape and part off the other end at 14".

I don't need the end cap.

Excellent idea Darryl. That will work just fine. Actually I was just about to suggest that, really I was. Trust me!:biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom