Lignum vitae bowl.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rcd567

Rcd567

Had a block of this wood and made a 6"x3" bowl. It turned out rather well for me. What do you guys think?

ironwood.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cbatzi01

Very nice. I have always had a hard time with LV bowls. I inevitably let the tool get dull, get a catch, and off the chuck it flies. Nice work!

Thanks!
Chris

SamThePenMan

Excellent work. I imagine its gotta be pretty heavy, or was before it was turned. :) Also I wonder if it'd float.

Did you turn the inside, or use one of those nested bowl cutters? It'd be a shame to let all the wood in the middle go to shavings.

Rcd567

Thanks for all the kind words. I turned the insides, it is heavy, and I don't think it would float.

Thickness is about 1/16th of an inch at the top and about a 1/4 in towards the bottom. The actual bottom is about 3/8" due to the cutout for the chuck. Darnedest stuff to finish I've ever done. Because it's so hard it's easy to sand smooth, then polish, but it wants to turn green. I actually sprayed on a poly finish twice and sanded it back off because it wouldn't harden. Finally, I sprayed it again and set it aside for a couple weeks. The wood eventually returned back to the original color (which you see here), then I steel wooled it, then applied another coat of poly. I waited a week and did it again for a total of three coats. I've got enough from the corners I cut off to make a few pens. Will have to try that since it's so heavily figured.

Bree

I think it's a lovely bowl. It turned out very well for you. Great work on the turning and finishing!
:):):)

Top Bottom