Lemonade #1

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tomas

tomas

This is Lemonade #1 as it appeared before I glued, sanded, and "finished" it. It is made of Paduk, Maple, and Walnut.
02c3770d-a63b-4d59-8818-942cc8ef35f7_zpsugwf0u53.jpg

This was my view of it as it exploded off of my Cole Chuck.
lem2%20Custom_zpsngctzj2k.jpg

This is how it looks now as Lemonade #1.
http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/t573/Tomas48/100_0689 Custom_zpstscvbdnc.jpg

Tomas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
You are an experienced turner. In your opinion, What do you attribute to the "explosion"?
. . . I try to be a learner from other's mistakes, when possible.

Thanks.

AND I think your reconstruction is an excellent picture to be framed! Love that picture!

tomas

You are an experienced turner. In your opinion, What do you attribute to the "explosion"?
. . . I try to be a learner from other's mistakes, when possible.

Thanks.

AND I think your reconstruction is an excellent picture to be framed! Love that picture!

Hank, I know exactly what happened. I had sanded the bowl just to where I wanted it and put the plugs in the base. The bottom of the base was crying out for a little special treatment. So,I mounted it on the Cole Chuck (the one with the marshmallows on it to hold the piece.) I was using my sort of square carbide chisel to turn a nice foot on the bowl. The right-hand corner of the chisel caught on slight ridge on the base and...KERBLAM! Lemonade #1 was born. I was wearing my face shield and eventually found all the pieces. I originally thought of gluing it back together but decided that it looked much better with the pieces in mid-flight. I have glued it to the top of a 24" flower vase.

I was using the squarish chisel when I should have been using the round chisel.

Tomas

Last edited:

alankulwicki7

I like the save treatment. I probably would have just tossed it all in the burn pile :)

Have you ever thought of using a donut chuck? Once I made one I sold my Cole jaws and never looked back. I find it's a much safer way of finishing the bottom of bowls :)

Top Bottom