Legacy Mill 200

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

btboone

Yup, I see that #2 would need a left hand drive shaft, but I think #3 should work fine. Yes, the pitch will be smaller, but it should still work, just like normal threads of different pitches are cut by the same threading tool. It would be easy enough to try.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
Originally posted by btboone
<br />Yup, I see that #2 would need a left hand drive shaft, but I think #3 should work fine. Yes, the pitch will be smaller, but it should still work, just like normal threads of different pitches are cut by the same threading tool. It would be easy enough to try.
The way the rope twist works is that the spiral has a 1.5" pitch. The cutter is exactly 1/2" diameter - so 3 passes add up EXACTLY. (I remember that the tool designer made a point of that during the demo we had at Legacy at the 2nd Penturners' Rendezvous - it makes sense now [:)]) If you make that 1st gear smaller, the pitch increases... the cutter passes won't match up any more. It'd be interesting to see what kind of a ridge is left in the middle of the rope - I suspect it'd be a little inverted V ridge. But a lot of effort for such an experiment :)

Darley

Very nice mean toy you got there Anthony, hope he give you lots of fun, now 1 question ...on your indexing plate, you divide it in 3 ( 3 blue marks )why? is that related to the pitch or spirals for the pen barrel?

PenWorks

Serge, the pitch is an 1 1/2 and the bit cuts a half inch, so 3 passes with the bit, will make a complete spiral. After every pass, I move the index 1/3.

Darley

That what I though, thank for the tip Anthony, this legacy look good for xmas pressy[:p], have to talk to my banker[:D]shipping would be efty, any new from your DVR yet? the legacy will be lonely soon[:D] but try to combine the both I'm very sure you will do some thing stunning

PenWorks

Serge, The ship has landed, it's on the way in a truck. Hooefully by Monday [:)]
If you think you want one of these, Legacy is coming to Scottsdale, Az with the Woodworking show Nov.13th Maybe I can pick one up at the show and ship it to you.
Check with your banker [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom