Left-over Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OldWrangler

OldWrangler

We all have those blanks that aren't quite interesting enough to make a pen out of. So what do you do with these extra blanks? Make a box! I put these spare blanks together and made a box that is 6" x 6" x 7" deep. No nails or screws except in the hinge and the antler handle, just dependable old CA. Corners are Cocobolo and it is lined with black felt. I'll probably make a lift out tray to fit in it. Didn't hardly make a dent in my old blank box.....maybe I better make a bigger one next time.

Attachments

• blanks box 2.jpg
    blanks box 2.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 251
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Now I know what to do with those two big boxes of blanks I keep tripping over. non of them pass the grade to become pens. I don't want to sell them if I don't consider them good enough. The only way I ever get them dwindled down is if someone is looking for practice wood. I could probably make a box with several drawers in it!

JimB

Hmmmm.... I feel blank deprived. I don't even have enough blanks in total to make that, never mind ones that aren't interesting enough to make a pen. I better go buy more blanks.

OldWrangler

I just stacked up the blanks, glueing as I went. When it was 6-7" tall and had dried for a couple of days I ran it through the thickness planer to level all the blanks for the inside and outside. Then I sawed it up into sides, top and bottom. I glued them all up into a 6 sided box and then sawed off the top on the table saw. Five coats of gloss polyurethane, a hinge and an antler handle and voila, a box!! Keeps me from watching TV all day.

Top Bottom