Lazy Man's CA Repair (Maybe Crazy is more like it)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Found a very small cloudy spot on one of the ugliest blanks I have ever turned. It was ugly as a rough cut blank and even ugly after I was done with it. In fact, I have not been please with the coloring of any of the 3 dyed, stabilized PSI blanks that I turned. This was a yellow one. Back to the question:

I am not one for covering flaws with clips - just not me. In fact, this one is so ugly, I should put a bag over its head, just so my other pens don't poke fun at.

I was thinking of removing the spot by sanding just the circumference of the finished blank with the spot down to the wood. Then fill in that spot with several coats of CA.

What do you think...or what is a better idea?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Beasley

I've used similar techniques to eliminate flaws, CA does a good job of blending in if you use a skew to feather the fill flush then resand and polish the entire blank.

TonyL

Thanks Gary.

Here's a pic of the blank...the flaw is not visible..I just know it's there.

Attachments

• Yellow.jpg
    Yellow.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 302

Katya

Sometimes, it's better to just give up and call it done.. if you truly don't like the blank, you won't ever like the pen. Perhaps it's best to learn what you can from it, then chuck it.

Up to you, but when I've had a large flaw to fix, sometimes the time and energy needed to really repair it just isn't worth it, in the grand scheme of things. This may not apply in your situation, of course. YMMV.

TonyL

U r correct, but I see it as an opportunity to try something new...this way if I waste enough time on it...I can see how far I can throw it LOL.

Someone will like it. If someone is at the house and they see it, and like it I will give it to them assuming it looks and functions like new...I give them the ones i like..why not these. :)

D.Oliver

I've found that I can usually sand the entire blank back and completely redo the entire finish faster than simply trying to fix a little spot. And usually when I do try and fix just a little spot I'm not completely satisified with it. I can usually tell that spot doesn't quite match the rest of the pen.

TonyL

Funny. The 3rd pen - second AA - I made (which naturally I gave to my wife) was a disaster.
I told her it was so, and she liked it any way.
Lori clipped this "disaster" to a wall calendar at church - at least 3 people asked her if they can buy it. I am embarrassed to even post it. I refused to sell it or give it away. You are right.

TonyL

I've found that I can usually sand the entire blank back and completely redo the entire finish faster than simply trying to fix a little spot. And usually when I do try and fix just a little spot I'm not completely satisified with it. I can usually tell that spot doesn't quite match the rest of the pen.

That was exactly the experience that I just had...had to see it myself. I am glad that I didn't have to learn not to touch fire that way. :)

Top Bottom