A couple of finishing questions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bloodhound

Hello again.

I have a few finishing questions for you guys and gals.

First is when putting a blo/ca finish on a wood/resin segmented blank or a hybrid blank. Does the blo/ca finish still bond to the resin?

Second is i have been playing with the blo/ca finish. As i am trying to move away from the activator side. The other day i made a walnut pen. I used blo and med ca. when i was done, although it wasnt a bad finish before sanding and polishing. I still had visible pores. I applied 10 coats i think. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

The CA will bond to the resin . BLO by itself won`t but it does cross link with the CA , so overall the finish bond to the resin will probably be poorer than to the wood but the difference may not be significant . Totally normal to see the pores . Some like them and leave them . Others hate them and fill them with slurry of CA and sanding dust .

after that many coats, it isn't really the pores you are seeing, it is you aren't sanding enough. If it is really open pore wood, the CA as it goes on has static pressure around the holes and will have a slightly higher surface around the pores. If you sand through the higher ridges around the pores a few times you will get a level surface.
Do a few coats of thin, then accelerator, then sand so the whole surface is pretty flat, dull all the way around (400-600 grit Abranet is what I would recommend, but I am a dealer). Then go with a couple coats of medium with accelerator, changing with 400-600 depending on swirls. Then another coat of medium with accelerator, maybe a few, depends on wood. Then I sand 600 through 1000, then 1000-4000 Abrasion and then use polish. I use the Stickiest Gloss on a paper towel.
I find the Micromesh through 12000 to be more tedious.

keithbyrd

"I use the Stickiest Gloss on a paper towel."

Steve Can you give more details on Stickiest Gloss" - I did a google search and only found lip gloss!

Good for you on the bike ride!

farmer

Ca Finish

Hello again.

I have a few finishing questions for you guys and gals.

First is when putting a blo/ca finish on a wood/resin segmented blank or a hybrid blank. Does the blo/ca finish still bond to the resin?

Second is i have been playing with the blo/ca finish. As i am trying to move away from the activator side. The other day i made a walnut pen. I used blo and med ca. when i was done, although it wasnt a bad finish before sanding and polishing. I still had visible pores. I applied 10 coats i think. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Use a blue paper shop towel.
Use med thickness CA glue.
Turn the rps down to like 60 rpm
Put a generous amount on the ( Blue paper shop towel )
Make sure you cut the blue paper towel instead of tearing it and you have all the loose fibers that could get into the finish.

Apply the CA to the wood making sure you apply a medium thin coat.
Throw the paper towel away after using it once..................
Wait until completely dry and apply another medium thin coat .
Keep on repeating this technic until you have 5 or six coats on and the finish is completely dry.

Then lightly sand 220 grit then polish out with a polishing cream....

RedBeard

I turned a walnut burl the other day and some of the "eyes" had somewhat deep voids. I ended up dabbing in some medium CA than turned it to final size after the CA had cured. After that I sanded as per usual and followed my standard finish schedule.
Straight coat of BLO followed by a straight coat of medium CA.
Next 3 coats are BLO/CA mix. (usually one drop of BLO to 3-4 drops of medium CA)
I make a few passes with the upper ranges of MM then 6-8 coats of BLO with thin CA before buffing with Mequire's PlastX.

Top Bottom