Lathe Problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

krose38

My delta midi lathe has developed a motor problem. The motor does not want to run, it does not want to run even if I spin the hand wheel. Is it possible to replace the motor? If so, where can they be purchased? Where is the best deal on a new jet mini. I hate to buy a new one but I'm hooked. Any help will be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

krose38

Don't know how old the lathe is, I bought for a hundred at a flea mkt. Didn't look like it had ever been used. I'll check Woodnet and Toolman007 when I get a chance. I've used the lathe for better than a year with no problems.

Deere41h

The most likely problem with not starting is a bad starting capacitor. I have a friend that had the same problem with his mini Jet and it was the capacitor. If that's the problem it should be about a $5.00 to $10.00 fix.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Deere41h
<br />The most likely problem with not starting is a bad starting capacitor. I have a friend that had the same problem with his mini Jet and it was the capacitor. If that's the problem it should be about a $5.00 to $10.00 fix.

John beat me to it. I was going to suggest you look for a motor fix-it guy. Most towns have one or two. These are often retired guys who have a small shop and are both good and reasonable. Something like us old woodturners. [;)][:)]

clem

Originally posted by krose38
<br />My delta midi lathe has developed a motor problem. The motor does not want to run, it does not want to run even if I spin the hand wheel. Is it possible to replace the motor? If so, where can they be purchased? Where is the best deal on a new jet mini. I hate to buy a new one but I'm hooked. Any help will be appreciated.
sounds like you have a Delta 46-712 VS lathe the motor can be purchased 1 of 3 ways direct from Delta from where you purchased it an arthorised service center is the motor or the reed drive
i sell these lathes BUT try to steer people away from them and go to th Jet 14/42 a better and heavier lathe (few extra green stamps)
Jet midi lathe (with out VS) is a good buy better sesale value clem

Ron Mc

This is what this forum is all about. Fellow pen turnersw helping eachother! I am honored to spend time here.

jwoodwright

Originally posted by Mainebowlman
<br />Something in me says to check the motor brushes.

Routers, Portable Sanders and drills, vacuums all use Universal Motors, which use Brushs.

Delta Midi Lathes and Lathes in general use Induction Motors, no brushs. Use a Capacitor instead, sometimes two, a start one and a run one...

Delta Midi Is Not VS... Belt Change like old Jet Mini...

krose38

I sure thank you all for the quick response. I have talked to a friend of mine that sells electric motors and is quite knowledgeable about these problems and he says it sounds like a capacitor to him. He may have one in stock, all I need is the number off mine to make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom