lathe buffing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sgimbel

Made a mandrel for my lathe to hold 3 or 4 buffing wheels. What speed should I be buffing at? Also do you do it at 90 or 45 degrees to the wheels or just go all kinds of directions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PTownSubbie

I usually buff at 1000-1400 RPM. Those are the two speeds on my manual lathe. I like the 1400 better though. I seem to get better spin on the wheels. I use 6" wheels or maybe 8". Whatever size Harbor Freight sells.

I usually buff on the top of the wheels. It pushes the blank toward me so I have better control IMO. Seems to push into my hands deeper rather than trying to rip it from my hands.

JimB

I really don't know much about buffing but I do know you should not be doing it on the top of the wheels. If the piece comes out of your hand you have a wheel spinning at a high rate that will shoot the piece of wood at you. Buff on the front of the wheels.

jedgerton

I buff at 1800 rpm using 8" wheels. I do buff at 45 degrees and -45 degrees. I insert a rod through the tube, hold at 45 degrees and allow the barrel to spin slowly.

John

ldb2000

I buff with 8" cotton and flannel wheels on my drill press at 1800 rpm . I buff at 45 degrees then 90 degrees .
Fred , don't use the top of the wheels , Jim, is right , if you should loose your grip and the wheel grabs the blank you could be seriously hurt . The blank would come off the wheel at a tremendous speed . Always buff on the front of the wheels so that if it should catch it will shoot it at the floor . Better to hurt the blank instead of yourself .

mrcook4570

Initial buffing is at 45 degrees. Final buffing is with the grain of the wood. Optimum speed will depend on wheel size. Smaller wheels need faster speed to achieve the same linear velocity.

Top Bottom