Wood types

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

I have had some questions about wood types used in making the cigar pens. I have attached a few photos.

The first one is a from a run of labels from a manufacturer that wants several large cigar pens and 10 of the smaller cigar label pens I make. I just thought it was interesting to see how the makers get the labels. You can see that it is a high quality printing process. Each band is truly a work of art.

The next picture shows three cigars and the corresponding pens. The first one is a Kristoff being made for the owner of the company. The pen is not finished, just held together with a jig. The cigar doesn't have a band because it is on the pen and I didn't want to open another one up. It is Claro Walnut burl, which is starting to become my favorite wood for darker cigars. The little top knot on the pen and cigar is called a pig tail. Many years ago a lot of cigars came with this feature, but no so much anymore. It allows you to simply twist the pigtail off the cigar prior to smoking instead of having to use a cutter or a punch.

The second two you have seen before, but it is an example of how well Brown Mallee Burl matches some cigars.

The third is from Amboyna burl. You can see that it doesn't match the tobacco color at all, but it is still a popular choice for some people. They think it is prettier that the walnut or mallee.

the last picture just has an extra Amboyna burl pen laying in front of the others. Sometimes I get a very dark brown piece of Amboyna burl and it looks great as a cigar, but I don't have any around anymore.

so for you guys that sell wooden blanks, keep your eyes open for any oversized pieces of the Claro walnut burl or Brown Mallee, I can always use more (up to a point, lol).

Thanks for looking and any suggestions as to other woods I could use would be most appreciated.

Attachments

• DSCN1544.jpg
    DSCN1544.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 125
  • DSCN1549.jpg
    DSCN1549.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 183
  • DSCN1553.jpg
    DSCN1553.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 145

phillywood

Peter, those are as close as you can get to the real thing and very nice job. I think Amboyna has a different look that mesmerizes people. I know I am very much drawn to it. Beautiful job all around.

Top Bottom