Large pine cone- hollow form

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from George Watkins

Hello folks

here is one of my latest cast blanks- it has one large pine cone embedded within the resin with the base of the cone at the top of the form(I might try the next one the other way up)

its 3 1/2" tall by 2 7/8" wide

from this...
P1180546.jpg

to this.
P1180551.jpg

PaulDoug

Whoooo! Now that there is awesome. Nice work. Looks like it is on fire!

I've been saving a big pine cone with an idea in my brain to cast it and make a turkey call out of it. Now you have really inspired me. Unfortunately, I don't hardly any casting experience and have so many other projects I haven't got to it. One of these days I will have to give it a try.

Last edited:

SteveG

George, your creativity, innovation and turning skills are greatly admired. You have sparked my desire to try similar works to your composite resin pieces. Great job, and thanks for showing!
Steve

wizard

Absolutely gorgeous!!!...It truly boggles my mind as to how you hollowed that out without going through a wall. Would give anything to watch you make one. Regards, Doc:)

MartinPens

Absolutely gorgeous!!!...It truly boggles my mind as to how you hollowed that out without going through a wall. Would give anything to watch you make one. Regards, Doc:)

Gorgeous! I'm with Doc on this one.... To get through that and have it all in one piece is amazing.
This makes me want to pursue the Binks pot and the whole shebang. Well done.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Thank you

hollow form turning is all down to practice and repetition- the hollowing hole on this piece was around 5/16" whilst I was hollowing (it's now 3/8" due to sanding) I didn't start out working thru these sized holes I worked up to it gradually.
The nice thing is now that anything bigger than 1/2" feels like luxury and I don't even think about it.

SDB777

Ummmmm.............errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, my gosh..................it's ahhhhhhhhhh, awesomenesseringly.

Question:
If you could get a lightbulb inside and sit in the dark room with it, would it be see through-ish?

Scott (can't wait for my cone to get outta da pot) B

Woodlvr

Beautiful and what everyone has already said. I have a strong desire to make a box from a piece I received from Bruce, but my nerve is lacking. Also not sure the size of the small tool used to make these and if I could justify the cost. Awesome work as always, your surprises are just raising the bar higher and higher. Please keep on showing us you art work.

Top Bottom