Knitting needles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DavePowers

DavePowers

They are 9 1/4 inches long and 5.5 and 6.5 mm thick.

Attachments

• knitting.jpg
    knitting.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 366
  • DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 218
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

Very nice. I don't remember seeing any one doing those. I asked my wife about the sizes and she got hers out for comparison. She has mostly metal ones but she does have one wood set.

JimB

:)I bet she loves them. My wife is wondering how long it took to make them, how you got them so even the whole length and what the wood and finish is.

I think I feel another project coming my way:).

DavePowers

:)I bet she loves them. My wife is wondering how long it took to make them, how you got them so even the whole length and what the wood and finish is.

I think I feel another project coming my way:).

I takes me a little longer than making a pen. To get them even this was may first real attempt at using a skew and it worked good. I did post on several forums about getting them even, what happens is since they are so thin the friction causes them to bounce kind of like waves in the ocean. The first wave makes the second and more so sanding was what took the longest. Several said to use a block of wood with sand paper on it but I just used the sand paper.

Give it a try they are fun.

The smallest pair started out to be the largest 3/8.

ngeb528

Dave,

Those are fantastic. I've been trying to think of something else I can make for my mother. She's taking knitting classes and is really getting into it, now I know what she's going to get for her birthday. Thanks!!

Nancy

Dave,
NIcely done. Did you make two at once and part them to get the matching diameter and lenth? is that possible? I would like to make a set for my daughter.

I takes me a little longer than making a pen. To get them even this was may first real attempt at using a skew and it worked good. I did post on several forums about getting them even, what happens is since they are so thin the friction causes them to bounce kind of like waves in the ocean. The first wave makes the second and more so sanding was what took the longest. Several said to use a block of wood with sand paper on it but I just used the sand paper.

Give it a try they are fun.

The smallest pair started out to be the largest 3/8.

davinci27

anybody looking for some details on making these, The new issue of woodturning designs has an article with step by step details.

I compared the first set to one my wife had. Then I searched online for the sizes and asked what ones she wanted.

Dave,
Here is a chart of sizes that I downloaded a while back when I was trying to do needles... I screwed the first set and never went back to try again. Maybe this will help.

Attachments

• KNITTING NEEDLE SIZES.pdf
    52 KB · Views: 189
Top Bottom