Kits and finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

super8mm

Hello folks, I am new to turning and I have a couple of questions. :confused:

1. I picked up a couple of pieces of Thuya Burl and Desert Iron Wood and I am looking for a large diameter Pen and Pencil set to show off the grain in these. What are some of the better quality sets that show a lot of the wood up to about the $20 range?

2. In considering on how to finish these very dense woods what should I check out? Is just polishing the 12000 grit something to consider or is there a finish that will make the grain really pop out?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MTViper

I'd recommend you go to Woodworld in north Dallas (near TI) and talk with them about suggestions for a pen kit. I think a Cigar pen would do what you're looking for and they have a good variety with and without a stylus on top. They have the bushings in stock, too. If you don't like that, they have a large variety of kits to choose from and can help you find what you want.

I love Thuya Burl. I've stopped after 12K MM and left it unfinished just so nothing would cover that great aroma. Pens Plus does a great job on it, though.

Desert Ironwood is tougher. It lives up to its name. I use Pens Plus on it, too.

Steve

Great wood choices. Personally, I love the ironwood. I've never turned thuga but it looks cool.

Kit choices: for the ironwood I'd be tempted to go with a "Clicker" from CSUSA. Long barrel really shows off a nice piece of timber. Not especially a large diameter pen, but certainly larger than a slimline.

For the thuya burl I think I'd look to something "elegant" like a rollerball. Lazerlinez has some awesome pens - perhaps a "Desire", "Eagle" or "Raven"?

If you're looking for something with even more heft than these, look at the Guardians from PSI. Really WIDE body pens.

Gotta go with a CA finish recommendation. Polishes to a super gloss, hard and super durable, but can be problematic to get right.

Last edited:

super8mm

Thanks guys I will look those over, I have done about 10 slim lines and I have mixed feeling about the fit of the kits. but I have seen the Cigar and it does look interesting.

what is the difference in Roller ball? those kits seem to be a bit more expensive, is the ink refill that much better?

Curly

Look at the El Grande, Churchill, Cambridge, Canadiana, Roman Harvest kits. The El Grande, Churchill are plainer looking and under your budget. The Cambridge and Canadiana have more bling and share the same bushings as the first two. The Roman Harvest has bling and look similar to the above but use slightly different tubes and bushings. All can be gad with either rollerball or fountain pen styles and a variety of finishes. Roman Harvest is available from Timberbits in Australia. Churchill and Canadiana are available from William Wood Write here in Canada.
http://www.penblanks.ca/home.php
With your strong dollar both Canada and the Australia are within your budget. The other kits are available from the usual US sources.

Super - a rollerball is a form of a ballpoint. But the ink is somewhat more "fluid". It tends to dry up if the pen isn't used, so it is usually (almost always) a two part pen with a cap that normally screws on. The screw on cap keeps the tip from drying out.

Side note - you can get much the same ink effect in a ballpoint with a "gel" refill.

super8mm

Thanks for the explaination Ted, that makes sense.

a lot of the pens I am looking at are ones with caps , they look like they show more wood.

I did pick up a pressure pot today for dying and maybe making some acrylic pens for $25 new in the box :biggrin:

Top Bottom