Just Curious

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithlong

As to what style of pen is your EDC pen? One of mine is the capital click pen with deer antler and Sierra style twist pen with deer antler. Both finished with CA glue.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Today it is a Magnetic Graduate in Chrome that I got from Ed at Exotic Blanks.
It was made with Cocobolo but there is a slight flaw in the finish (uneven spot) where there was a knot.

Tomorrow, it will probably be a Magnetic (like the Zen) in Gunmetal that I got from Crooked Mill.
It was made with Rocky B's Redwood Lace Burl, but it has a small crack on one end from pressing crooked.

Dave

derekdd

I have a chrome Diamond Knurl (Exotic) in a dyed maple burl from Jakob Jenssen Studios on Etsy.

There's a slight crack on the lower section where it gave during assembly. Don't feel good about selling it so I kept it.

I really, really like the quality of this kit.

JohnU

I really, really like the quality of this kit.
I agree, and I like how easy it is to change the ink refill. I haven't had to fix anyone's transmission getting pushed up the tube since I started giving the diamond knurl pen away.

Mine every day pen varies from a pheasant feather, snakeskin, cast cholla, candy wrapper or watch part. I have a small cup of them on the counter and grab when I need one.

Kenny Durrant

Here's the two I carry. I switch them up from time to time. They are both Rollesters. I like the way the Rollerballs write and these are small enough so they're not too bulky. I also like the way the clip is on the pen instead of the cap. For some reason I'm concerned that the weight of the pen might cause it to come loose. I'd rather lose the cap and not the pen. One is a Musk Ox horn I cast in black resin. The other is Abalone Heart. The regular abalone is a bit too flashy for me. This still has the bright colors mixed in with the grey.

Attachments

• IMG_4081.jpeg
    IMG_4081.jpeg
    343.6 KB · Views: 40

Joseph

I've been wanting to make a compact-ish rollerball. Looking at trying the Manager RB from Exotic.
The magnetic Graduate and Rollester seem like they'd fit the bill well, but it looks like it wouldn't be comfortable writing with them. @Kenny Durrant and @egnald Do y'all find them comfortable even with the hard edges?
My EDC as of late is a Duraclick EDC with red Australian coolibah burl framed in gaboon ebony using a Monteverde super broad ballpoint refill.

Attachments

• IMG_8773.jpeg
    IMG_8773.jpeg
    565.9 KB · Views: 22

Kenny Durrant

I've been wanting to make a compact-ish rollerball. Looking at trying the Manager RB from Exotic.
The magnetic Graduate and Rollester seem like they'd fit the bill well, but it looks like it wouldn't be comfortable writing with them. @Kenny Durrant and @egnald Do y'all find them comfortable even with the hard edges?
My EDC as of late is a Duraclick EDC with red Australian coolibah burl framed in gaboon ebony using a Monteverde super broad ballpoint refill.
Thinking about your question I've never noticed anything uncomfortable. I don't really write much. Just a signature or a few notes.

sorcerertd

My most carried pens are
PSI Duraclick in burnt broze and olive
PSI Compson in chrome and purpleheart with completely random soda can inlay cris-crossing it
PSI Big Ben in Rhodium and blue dyed box elder (my Starry Night pen)
I have a few rollerballs I carry now and then, but it's just convenient to use a clicker for me.

Joseph

Thinking about your question I've never noticed anything uncomfortable. I don't really write much. Just a signature or a few notes.
True, I don't typically write a lot with mine either. Also remembering this morning that I don't actually find the duraclick comfortable either with the knurling and the joint between the grip/nib. Thank you for your thoughts!

Kenny Durrant

True, I don't typically write a lot with mine either. Also remembering this morning that I don't actually find the duraclick comfortable either with the knurling and the joint between the grip/nib. Thank you for your thoughts!
Since you brought up the Duraclick. I'd rather make blanks than turn them. I make a lot of Sierra Style because of their popularity. I like the EDCs because there's more of the blank to show and I'm able to cast embedded objects easily. If it wasn't for the way a rollerball writes I'd carry one of those. When I write I press fairly hard. I say that because I can't use a mechanical pencil without going through a ton of lead. That being said I like the knurled nib because it gives me a better grip. As an added note always carry a nice pen to show off. You want people to see your best and not think "That's the best you can do".

woodwzrd

My current EDC has been with me for almost a year now and it is a kit called PKM5 from StrongInk. I have it dressed in a fordite hybrid blank. I carry my pen in my short pocket or the button portion of a polo and I'm not a big fan of a lot of pen sticking out of the top of my pocket to get caught on things so I really like how the clip is close to the end of the pen. I upgrade the standard ballpoint refill to a gel refill and it writes much closer to the way a rollerball writes.
PXL_20240226_142245238.jpg

GaryMGg

I don't write much or carry often, but the pick-up pens laying around the house are almost all nicely made from various PITHs.

My own EDCs are a Cigar in what is probably an Ocean Mist inlace acrylic and a Cocobolo slimline.

pacer_3iii

I like Pentel Energel fine refills, so I tend to stick to rollerballs. My favorite pocket pen is this Editor from Exotic Blanks that I trimmed an Energel to fit. It's a little smaller than I usually go for, but it fits just about anywhere you want to put it.
20240307_093932.jpg

I alternate between that one and a commander from woodturningz using an Energel refill.

Top Bottom