Jr. Statesman - Snakewood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodpens

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodpens

Here is one of two Jr. Statesman rollerball pens I made last weekend. As expected, I lost one due to cracking. This is the survivor (so far). If Snakewood were not so beautiful, I'd throw the rest of it in the trash. :) The finish is a thick, glossy CA, but my cocoon makes that disappear.

SnakeState.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

melogic

Very nice Jim! I love the Statesman and Jr. Statesman. I have yet to try the Jr., but soon....very soon. The snakewood may be a pain in the you know what to work with, but it sure is pretty

Woodnknots

Originally posted by Leather Man
<br />Great looking pen Jim. Does Snakewood have a habit of cracking? I have never used any of it yet, but it sure is pretty.
Ben
I've made two myself, and they both cracked. I know one other person to make a snakewood pen, and her's cracked as well. I recently boiled two blanks, as I heard that this was a way to keep them from cracking. They are drying in a plastic bag for the next couple of weeks before I try to turn them.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Beautiful work, Jim. Snakewood is one you love to hate. I haven't found ANY fool proof method for keeping it from splitting. It just seems like the luck of the draw.

woodpens

I removed Snakewood, Ebony and Ivory from my wood/material selection on my website because of the experience I have had with them cracking. I prefer to make them, and if all turns out well, post them for sale. Somehow, customers still come asking for them. Snakewood is almost as requested as Bethlehem Olivewood lately.

Ben

Originally posted by woodpens
<br />Here is one of two Jr. Statesman rollerball pens I made last weekend. As expected, I lost one due to cracking. This is the survivor (so far). If Snakewood were not so beautiful, I'd throw the rest of it in the trash. [:)] The finish is a thick, glossy CA, but my cocoon makes that disappear.

SnakeState.jpg

Hi there. If you do ever decide to get rid of whatever snakewood you have left, please let me know. I'd like to play around with some, and see what it is like... Now on the other hand, if you are just going to throw it away, here is my "trash-can":

Ben Chavez
1205 Plumas St.
Reno, NV 89509
775-322-8868
bchavez@unr.edu

driften

Good Job! I bet it looks even nicer in person.

I have two snakewood blanks just waiting in wax right now. I don't want to waist them on anything less then a Baron/Statesman. If they come out it needs to be high end! I think I will turn then and wait a little while before putting the rest of the parts on so that I only waist tubes if they split after making it though turning.

PenWorks

Great lookingpen Jim. I to love that stuff. I just finished repairing two that had split, they go in the sale rack or to be given away to good clients. Even after the split is repaired, you still see the cracks, but it is still a good looking defect!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I can only say, "Amen" to Jim Lambert's comments. Ebony, Pink Ivory and snakewood are on the "never again" list.

BUT it sure is a nice looking pen!!!

lkorn

Anthony,
How do you go about repairing the cracks? I turned some P.I. atomizers last Christmas and filled the cracks with CA & sawdust, but the results wee far less than satisfactory. Fortunately, one was for my wife and another for a good friend who appreciated the effort from a novice.
Originally posted by penworks
<br />Great lookingpen Jim. I to love that stuff. I just finished repairing two that had split, they go in the sale rack or to be given away to good clients. Even after the split is repaired, you still see the cracks, but it is still a good looking defect!

PenWorks

Larry, when snake wood cracks, (at least the ones I have had crack) it is just a thin line or hair line split, no real big seperation, I just super glue, resand till smooth and refinish. You can still see where the split was, but still looks real good. Like I said, I sell them for just my cost in the pen or give them away. They still are way to pretty to pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom