Jr Gent/Navigator/Caballero Blank Grain alignment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bedangerous

I was wondering what system or tricks people use to allow for alignment of the cap and lower blank grains for screw top pens. My pen came out nice but when the cap is screwed on the grain is off.

1. How can I predict and set up the pen for assembly so that the grain will be aligned after the pen is assembled.

2. Is there a way to correct for a misalignment after the pen is assembled.

Thanks,
Mitch

southernclay

Only done a few but I assembled the body first, screwed the centerband part of the cap onto the body then hand pressed the cap blank onto the body lightly but enough to stay. Then unscrew being sure the blank stays put and assemble the cap.

My terms may be way off but hopefully that makes sense. Also be sure to note there are different thread starting points so you can match up and misalign them by starting the screw cap at the wrong point. I assume vice versa that you can come close to aligning one that wasn't originally aligned depending on where you start the cap.

I think it's an important detail as long as there is grain to be matched. I make a mark with a sharpie on the two ends that meet inside the tubes to help with wilder burl grained ones.

For item #2 disassemble using a punch set

Last edited:
Top Bottom