Clip and Cap Problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

shastastan

Last year I bought some music clef clips to use with some PSI slim line kits. These were the cheap kits. The clips did not fit the caps, but I managed to force them on to the caps and into the tubes using my pen press. Of course I managed to split the wood and ruin one. Then I tried using a round file to make the clip holes bigger to fit the caps. That was a pain so I stopped using the music clef clips.

I read on here that the more expensive slim line kits are better quality. I bought some and they are. However yesterday, I split the top wood section again trying to get the clip on the cap. The others I had used fit right over the caps, but this one did not. I guess my question is should I always make sure that the clips are always on the caps all the way before assembly into the tubes? Is there a problem with the size of the parts not being consistent? I would rather pay more for better quality kits than ruin my work during assembly. Please comment/advise. Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glenspens

not all clips fit all caps all the time with out a little help, what i do if the clip will not slip on before i go to press i get my little tool that i made and press it on the end then cap and clip to pen.. my tool a bit of wood with an 7mm hole no tube . i drill the hole close to the edge so clip will lay flat and match hole in wood may need to do a little sanding on the wood.. well it works for me...

shastastan

not all clips fit all caps all the time with out a little help, what i do if the clip will not slip on before i go to press i get my little tool that i made and press it on the end then cap and clip to pen.. my tool a bit of wood with an 7mm hole no tube . i drill the hole close to the edge so clip will lay flat and match hole in wood may need to do a little sanding on the wood.. well it works for me...

Sounds like a good idea. I think I'll use a scrap piece of mdf or baltic birch plywood. I'll try quick grip clams without the pads. Thanks for your help.

shastastan

i use a wood pen blank 2or3 in long that way i can hold it in the pen press to press on the clip...

Thanks. That sounds better than what I did, but they way I did it worked fine. I drilled a 7mm hole in the 1/2" mdf piece and clamped it to the edge of the work bench. I placed the clip over the hole, put the cap in the clip, and used a quick grip clamp without the pads. That worked fine, but I think your way may be easier.

Top Bottom