Jet sharpener, truing the wheel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marc Phillips

I have ordered and received the diamond truing jig for the Jet wet sharpener... and so far have accomplished very little...

Either this thing is really an overpriced hunk of junk accessory or I am going something terribly wrong.. I slide the jig back and forth forever, and the same little high spots still rub and the wheel is not getting any truer at all..

Any help for me? .... I mean, I understand the theory and I have no problem truing the wheels on the grinder with the Wolverine jig, but this jig for the Jet is a total failure so far...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

would recommend you return that 'thing' and replace it with the Tormek. I have the Tormek in my shop and it has NEVER failed me in any way. Others here on the Forum have stated the JET is OK if one uses the Torkek jigs as they are superior in quality. But this odesn't help you much with your original complaint.

If this doesn't help then maybe it is time for a telephone call to the good folks at JET. :D

cowchaser

I have the jet and you just have to keep going at it. If you watch the video where he is setting up the wheel you will notice that he goes at it for awhile also. It's kind of a bummer to use up so much wheel just to get it trued up. I bet if you call Jet and tell them that you are wasting "X" amount of wheel just trying to true it they will send out a new one.

Jarheaded

I just bought the Jet sharpener. It came with a 2 drawer stand and a wheel truing tool. I paid $299 for it instead of paying double that amount for the Tormek, they were side-by-side at the store and they appear to be the same. Are you finding any other problems with it before I open the box up? It will be replacing my grinder and my Delta wet wheel.

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by Marc Phillips

I have ordered and received the diamond truing jig for the Jet wet sharpener... and so far have accomplished very little...

Either this thing is really an overpriced hunk of junk accessory or I am going something terribly wrong.. I slide the jig back and forth forever, and the same little high spots still rub and the wheel is not getting any truer at all..

Any help for me? .... I mean, I understand the theory and I have no problem truing the wheels on the grinder with the Wolverine jig, but this jig for the Jet is a total failure so far...

It will take quite some time to run the diamond of the truing jig over the wheel, you have to go back and forth several times. I also have the Tormek and their truing jig works excellent on my wheel. Maybe it is good advise to get the Tormek jigs for the Jet grinder.
But also keep in mind, the wheel is much larger, wider and turns much slower than your grinder wheel, so it takes a lot of time to true such a large wheel.

Top Bottom