JET JML 1014I Turning Speed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fireengines

A newbie question...

On the Jet JML 1014I, what position to you place the belt for turning? Does it vary depending on what material you are spinning?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
I personally turn at max speed for all pen blanks. I CA at about 850-1250. Starting out I tried lower speeds, but found I got tear outs easier. The high speed is my personal style, others might be different.

+1...works well and that's the only way I've ever done it!

seamus7227

middle belt position or 1850 range for me. Of course mine is a VS and i really have not needed a different position but maybe one other time.

Emery

I usually turn at 3990 and the sand/finish at 500 except thevlast two MMgrits at 3990. I have read to sand at low speeds so this is how I do it. I'm curious, what does "slow speed" for sanding mean to you?

Xander

I turn at max speed, for me that's about 3200rpm. I Sand/MM at same speed.
To APPLY CA I slow down to about 700.
I drill at about 700 also.

Oh, and my lathe is not a JET, just a cheap HF 10x18. Get great results from it :)

edstreet

I have a 1220VS and I keep my belt on the lowest setting and just turn the dial. So far it stays in about the middle for most things. I use lowest for CA and to put my chuck on and highest to hand sand and turn after it's round/roundish.

Mac

A newbie question...

On the Jet JML 1014I, what position to you place the belt for turning? Does it vary depending on what material you are spinning?

Thanks

Their are no set rules on speed. that is why lathes have speeds instead of a just off and on switch.
That being said ,since you ask a newbie question, here is my answer.
Did you learn to drive full speed foot on the floor or did you mash the brakes to the floor everytime you stopped. It is not a race. learn, then speed if you think you need it.
I wish someone had told me in the second grade when me and a buddy raced as fast as we could througth our ABCs.With my writing I should have been a brain doctor. Do you know your ABCs of turning Ancher,Bevel,Cut

Top Bottom