Ivory?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rcd567

Rcd567

I've got a project for this winter. It's a knife to which I'm going to make the handle. I've already got the wood. I would like to use a segment of ivory near the front. I need two pieces about a 2" square by 1/4" thick.

Where would you guys suggest I look for it? Is there a decent substitute that looks and ages like real ivory? HELP!

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheaties

Ed, from exotic blanks, could probably hook you up with some alternative ivory. Otherwise you will have to either order some ivory from Canada (I think you can only get a couple kinds shipped and then it has to sneak by customs), OR go there and sneak some back. :rolleyes:

BTW, I just saw you are from good old G'Wood. I lived there for 4 years.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Alternative Ivory is nice and stable, etc. But, I would never tell you it could be confused for the real thing.

Rcd567

Ed, from exotic blanks, could probably hook you up with some alternative ivory. Otherwise you will have to either order some ivory from Canada (I think you can only get a couple kinds shipped and then it has to sneak by customs), OR go there and sneak some back. :rolleyes:

BTW, I just saw you are from good old G'Wood. I lived there for 4 years.

I actually live out in the country about 6 miles from Glenwood up in the hills. Course isn't everything around Glenwood "in the hills"?

jskeen

If you are specifically looking for elephant ivory, the above sites are pretty much the best available. If you are just looking for ivory, you can legally purchase, own, and use ivory from hippo, warthog, and fossil mastodon or mammoth.

I have dealt with these folks before (through FeEbay, before they got too PC to allow ivory listings, even of non protected animals) and had great results.

Worldwide Wildlife
LOCATED IN ST. AUGUSTINE, FLORIDA

Phone 904-797-7478 or FAX 904-797-7280

A nice warthog tusk might give you a bookmatched set of bolsters the size you are looking for, but i think 1.5x2 is more realistic.

Rifleman1776

Lots of good tips so far. Real elephant ivory is legal under certain circumstances. Other ivorys are available also, as mentioned, mastodon, walrus, etc.
An excellent faux/alternate ivory, popular with knife makers is available from Jantz Supply.
http://jantzsupply.com/index.html
It is a very-very hard material but should be easier to work with files and a lathe. It is the best looking alt ivory available, IMHO.

titan2

Lots of good tips so far. Real elephant ivory is legal under certain circumstances. Other ivorys are available also, as mentioned, mastodon, walrus, etc.
An excellent faux/alternate ivory, popular with knife makers is available from Jantz Supply.
http://jantzsupply.com/index.html
It is a very-very hard material but should be easier to work with files and a lathe. It is the best looking alt ivory available, IMHO.

Just finished going through their catalog......man, they got everything in there!!! Bookmarked that site for future use!

THANKS,

Barney

Top Bottom