I've gone international

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcm71

In March 2013 I originated a thread called One Ugly Pen. Here's the link. http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/one-ugly-pen-108830/ That summer I donated the pen for a raffle at a dog agility trial my wife and I were competing in. Just got this email last night.

This may be a strange request! At the OVDTC obedience or maybe the Agility trial two years ago I believe you donated a ball point pen that was made from a "Bully" stick! The weird part of the story is that while we were in Iceland we visited (!!) the Phallological Museum! The Icelandic Phallological Museum

My husband donated that pen to their collection and they were really quite thrilled! The museum requested more information: who made it, what kind of bull--any other information that we could provide. Said they had never seen anything like it! Would you be able to share more information? I do remember (I think) talking with you and you said you made the pen.

Thank you.

XXXXXXXXXX
Ouachita Valley Dog Training Club

I responded, and today I received this one:

Hello Hjortur--

I have returned from my trip to Iceland now and can answer some of your questions. My wife was able to contact the person who made the Bully Stick Pen and I have provided his information below and his email address above. My wife gave me the pen after winning it in a drawing at a dog show a couple of years ago, and since I had it with me in Iceland last week, I decided to donate it for your collection of oddities.

You may not realize that it is somewhat common in the US for 'bully sticks' to sold as chew sticks for dogs. The sticks are collected and then prepared by several manufacturers and offered in US stores that sell pet foods. I looked on one packages we have and found that particular set of bully sticks came from Brazil although I know that there are bully sticks provided from other countries as well.

As John indicates below, he made the pen from a bully stick of unknown origin. You may wish to contact him directly or he may wish to provide you his home town or other manufacturing information. Note that he made these pens in both single and double barrel forms. A picture of the one I donated and he makes is found below.

I have provided information below for your list of honorary members (donators).

Donator: Dr. xxxxxxxxxx
Address: West Monroe, Louisiana USA
Made By: John C. Muncie, USA
Manufactured: 2012?
Scientific Classification: Animalia; Chordata; Mammalia; Theria; Eutheria; Artiodactyla; Bovidae; Bovinae; Bos; Bos Taurus; Bos Taurus Taurus (although the bull could have been a hybridized animal which could change the last element of the classification.)
Common Name: Ballpoint Pen from Bull's Pizzle or Bully Stick Pen

Your museum was very interesting. Perhaps someday we will visit Iceland again (preferably in the summer) and I can stop by the museum again.

Jerry

John's letter follows:

What an interesting email!! Yes, I did make a Bully pen for the dog trial two years ago. If I remember correctly, it was a Slimline model, consisting of two turned barrels of bully stick as shown below. As far as any more specifics, I have no idea what species of bull it came from, or who was the manufacturer of that bully stick since there are several providers of these sticks. I have also made several single barrel pens out of bully stick (sold them all). If there is any other way I can help you, please let me know.

John

On 1/5/2015 5:31 AM, Hjortur wrote:
Hello Jerry. Thank you very much for the pen. I have never seen a pen like this one before and I´ll put it on show with other curiositis we have. Could you tell me something more about it? Where and when it was made, by whom etc? I would like to add your name to the museums honorary members list if thats okey with you. ( Full name, city and country ) Best regards. Hjortur Gisli Sigurdsson Curator / Director of The Icelandic Phallological Museum Phallus@phallus.is The Icelandic Phallological Museum Tel: +354-5616663 / +354-8687966

Gofer

It is a small world and it is always interesting how hings turn out from timt to time. Your pen will now be seen by countless people and could lead to more sales. Just the cool factor of the story is the best part to me. Congrats

Bruce

jcm71

Don't know if I really want to make any more of these pens, Bruce. They're kind of disgusting to make, however, they were the pens people invariably picked up first at my booth. I loved the reactions when I finally told them what it was made of (I gave them three guesses).

I'm just astounded that there is a phallological museum anywhere in the world, and that apparently people pay money to visit it.

Top Bottom