8th annual, MPG 2015 (IL) planning has started!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

I had a lot of enthusiasm about keeping this event going when I welcomed everyone last year. So, LET'S DO IT AGAIN! Planning on 1/2 day, Friday April 10, and all day Saturday the 11th. For the new folks, MPG (Midwest Penturners Gathering) is an annual gathering of penturners in Champaign, IL. This will be the 8th annual. The longest running event of this kind that I know of. I'm going to need a bunch of help, most importantly with people sharing their skills by doing some short demos. Let me know if you are interested in volunteering in any way, I sure could use some help. Many more posts to follow, but wanted to get everyone to start thinking about it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

I know I'll be getting a reservation earlier this year so I don't have to drive to clear to Tuscola (or was it Arcola) to sleep. Making a reservation the night before was not a good idea.

I think I volunteered to do a demo - was it threading?

low_48

I know I'll be getting a reservation earlier this year so I don't have to drive to clear to Tuscola (or was it Arcola) to sleep. Making a reservation the night before was not a good idea.

I think I volunteered to do a demo - was it threading?

Yes it was threading, now that you mention it. I'm going to try and get a host hotel. Just waiting on final confirmation from the union hall for the space.

Chasper

It doesn't look like I'm going to be able to make it this year, April is already booked solid. Good luck with the event.

JohnU

Thanks for posting early Rich! I was able to make the changes at work so I'll be there and willing to help in any way needed.

inkpeddler

Don't worry Ed, John will be leaving his wallet and all contents there of at home with me His wife. He is in need of nothing for pen making...
...now what he does need is some awesome blanks to use to make seam rippers for us quilters. :)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
And just think what he could do with his own stabilizing sytem!!!

And doorprizes!!!! John MIGHT win a JohnU cast blank---never know what surprises lurk at MPG!!

Seriously, we always enjoy talking with John and his entourage!!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I pulled rank this AM and marked myself off on Friday.

If there is interest, I can take a 15 seat van (well... 8-10 comfortable :party:) and pick up stray pen turners on the way.

I expect to travel I-71 South from Medina, Through/bypass Columbus. Leaving anytime convenient Friday mid morning. Staying somewhere Friday and possibly Saturday, coming back Saturday/Sunday.

IF... a concensus, we could come back late Saturday.

A pickup in Indianapolis is also feasible (or along the way!).

If interested, post thoughts here, so others can consider the options.

If not - I'll see you there!

Magicbob

Mark, I'm calling shotgun unless Mort is riding with you.
I'll turn in the paperwork for the time off work monday, oh wait a minute, I'm the boss. Vacation approved.
See ya there.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark, I'm calling shotgun unless Mort is riding with you.
I'll turn in the paperwork for the time off work monday, oh wait a minute, I'm the boss. Vacation approved.
See ya there.

Oh great... A Magician for a Navigator... We'll end up in Tampa! :highfive:

Well, that's 2 :party::party:

Argo13

Just gotta wait till my boss gets back from vacation. Then I can check if I can get the Friday off. If I can Ill tag along with Mark and Magic, if not I'll come late on Friday and see ya in the morning.

Jason

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Just gotta wait till my boss gets back from vacation. Then I can check if I can get the Friday off. If I can Ill tag along with Mark and Magic, if not I'll come late on Friday and see ya in the morning.

Jason

Hi Jason:

No firm time to leave is set, or to return! We can wait a week or two to see the initial interest, then firmly set the times, and future hitch-hikers can drop in as convenient for our plans.

Love to have anyone from Ohio or along the route!

jdmacdo

We will be there

After last year when I brought my dad and one of my sons, we now have 3 generations that are all turning up a storm...

We will be there again this year.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Rooms are scarce!

FYI: Apparently this is also 'Mom's" Day weekend at the University of Illinois :eek:!

I have called 4 motel/hotels in Champaign and none had any rooms. (Hampton; Courtyard; Baymont; Fairfield).

I'm going to check on more, but may need to go outside of town.

EDIT: Just made a booking through Expedia (Info only, not a recommendation). Tuscola, IL (22 miles away). Super 8; $201.50 for 2 nights.

And I can cancel before April 9 if anything better comes up.

Last edited:

low_48

Oh oh. I checked the U of I calendar last year, with nothing on it. The hotels were still nearly all sold out because of some kind of music event in Chamoaign. It's one tough town to schedule around. Do we need to make a change?

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Oh oh. I checked the U of I calendar last year, with nothing on it. The hotels were still nearly all sold out because of some kind of music event in Chamoaign. It's one tough town to schedule around. Do we need to make a change?

Hi Rich... A tough decision! There are rooms available if folks are wiling to go a bit out of town.

My opinion, after I got there last year, I didn't leave MPG during the day, so I could care less if I started out 20 minutes away, stayed overnight 20 minutes away and left the next morning. We can cancel if you/powers to be decide to alter the date... BUT... some folks (not me) may have other weekends planned out.

I have no clear recommendation, other than to say to folks, just plan on being on the outskirts, all is good! It will be FUN!

I'd keep the date Rich!

Just a thought... For future years, is a nearby (20 miles) location possible? Champaign is great, but as you say, a tough tourist town!

Mark (my opinion is free).

Last edited:

brownsfn2

Yep. Mom's day weekend. I am struggling with a hotel reservation now. Apparently most hotels are requiring a two-night stay that weekend as well.

Top Bottom