Is Tru-Stone made by more than one company?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Without calling vendor names, or trying to start a debate, I have noticed a difference in the "stone composites".

I use a LOT of black with gold web and red with gold web. I have always bought my supply from one source. Trying to be efficient, I began ordering from another source to combine pen components with the stone blanks.

NOW, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH EITHER VENDOR OR EITHER PRODUCT. I have noticed that they turn a bit differently and look VERY different. One is sold as "Gemstone" and the other as "Tru-Stone"

Are they from different manufacturers or have the just changed the "web" design?

Last edited:

bitshird

Andy if its Tru Stone it's all manufactured by RT research in Arizona, there are probably several others making a similar product, but RT is the best and they are to only ones making Tru Stone, I used to deal directly with them, but we were cutting 20 to 50 pounds a week for a customer, and not for pens, I still have some of the original stuff and man is it hard, the new Pliable material for pens is great, but the older rock is a real bear. They had a serious accident some while back and were out of production for a few months, but they are going stronger and better than ever.

PenMan1

Andy if its Tru Stone it's all manufactured by RT research in Arizona, there are probably several others making a similar product, but RT is the best and they are to only ones making Tru Stone, I used to deal directly with them, but we were cutting 20 to 50 pounds a week for a customer, and not for pens, I still have some of the original stuff and man is it hard, the new Pliable material for pens is great, but the older rock is a real bear. They had a serious accident some while back and were out of production for a few months, but they are going stronger and better than ever.

Thanks Ken. I forgot about the "explosion". That explains it. I make a lot of pens half black and half red (32 miles to Athens, GA). The stuff I had on hand had a much "tighter" web and was much "smoother". The new stuff (by coincidence from a new vendor) has a much "looser" web. I just need to be careful not to mix the old with the new!

THANKS!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Andy,
Over the years there have been several "tru-stone-like" products. Acryligem comes to mind immediately, but I have a few others in my shop, too.

Each of them turned differently and some differ from color to color.

You get your "hints" on what to expect as you drill it--if ribbons are coming out of the bit, things look favorable. IF not, you may need to "innovate" as you turn.

Top Bottom