Intro from Texas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FredWillU

I'm from Greenville Texas by way of Madison Wisconsin. I met and married a native Texas gal when I was in service and she insisted she wanted to come back home in 2007. We celebrated 42 years of marriage this past Spring. She had all the Wisconsin winter weather she could stand. She never could understand what it meant to be a 'Cheesehead' or a 'Badger'. It is tough on NFL weekend when the Cowboys and Packers are playing. She roots for one and I the other.
I became interested in pens after a field trip to the Parker Pen company…. long before any pen kits were available for the woodturner. Since 2007 I have concentrated mostly on turning and not just pens.
Now the main reason for joining IAP. I am recovering from recent surgery and doctor's orders won't allow me any shop time until after Labor Day at the earliest. I stumble across the IAP site on numerous searches on the internet and your library is the greatest for a pen turner. I see and find more ideas that I'm going to attempt after I get back in the shop.
I'm a member of the Hunt County Woodturners, the AAW and now with your kind permission also an IAP member.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Welcome from Minnesota.

The nice part about living in Texas is that you can always come north in the summer.
Listen to your doctor. Heal completely and then come back to the fun of turning. Until them, read all you can find here and keep smiling.
BTW......if you want to hold a 'real' book......check out your local library.

studioseven

Welcome Fred. I can relate to your experiences. I met my wife when I was in the Army 40 years ago. She was from Wisconsin and I was from Florida. When I was discharged, we moved to Wisconsin. Over thirty years and I still am not used to the cold. Pretty sure if I had been told how cold it gets, we would be living in Florida. I can't bring myself to root for the Packers. However they do have great fans and a great stadium. Hope your health issues turn out ok. Take care.

Seven

Welcome Fred

I'm from Greenville Texas by way of Madison Wisconsin. I met and married a native Texas gal when I was in service and she insisted she wanted to come back home in 2007. We celebrated 42 years of marriage this past Spring. She had all the Wisconsin winter weather she could stand. She never could understand what it meant to be a 'Cheesehead' or a 'Badger'. It is tough on NFL weekend when the Cowboys and Packers are playing. She roots for one and I the other.
I became interested in pens after a field trip to the Parker Pen company…. long before any pen kits were available for the woodturner. Since 2007 I have concentrated mostly on turning and not just pens.
Now the main reason for joining IAP. I am recovering from recent surgery and doctor's orders won't allow me any shop time until after Labor Day at the earliest. I stumble across the IAP site on numerous searches on the internet and your library is the greatest for a pen turner. I see and find more ideas that I'm going to attempt after I get back in the shop.
I'm a member of the Hunt County Woodturners, the AAW and now with your kind permission also an IAP member.

I was born and raised in Wausau Wisc. Married a calif. girl and she wouldn't Move either.Ive been on IAP or 6 or 7 years. You learn alot here

Sub Vet 10

Great to have you onboard. Very similar story: I married a Southern Belle and after tours back home in WA and VA she talked me into "going back to where I belonged." Can't beat the job market here.
Same thing happened to my FIL, he blew out his back doing construction for years. Started out making, then engraving pens... 15 years later he has an awesome business in several processes.
Last year I was really hoping for a Texans/Seahawks Super Bowl. I am a Texans fan but Seahawks take precedence. I have a huge vinyl banner on the back of my truck that got egged last week: hard to know whether it was a Cowboys or Saints fan down here. :)

plano_harry

Welcome Fred! Have you subscribed to the Local Chapters/North Texas forum? We are planning our next meeting at WoodWorld in Dallas and you can get to meet the group right away. So check it out!

t001xa22

Welcome from the DFW area of TX, not far from where you are. As a born-and-bred Texan, I can relate to your wife's preferences. My wife hails from southern IL, but I convinced her to try Texas. She is now a confirmed resident, thankfully, but we visit her family in IL fairly often. I dare say you will not find a better group of folks in the craft than you find here.

Top Bottom