Intro from Colorado

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rich L

Hello folks,

Centennial, CO, to be exact.

It should be fun to participate in this forum as there are a bunch of new "faces" to me. I've been making pens for many years now but at a snail's pace and I tend strongly towards metal. I also participate in the old arts of engine and ornamental turning at the pen scale. My shop (metal shop) is fairly complete now as I've been collecting machinery for 35 years and one of my old-timers is actually 200 years old. Without going into too much detail here you can look at my efforts at Argent Blue and at Metalwrite

I do have a nice low-level commercial connection but at heart I'm a tinkerer. I also have some experience in the custom knife world hence the Damascus steel influence. I love detail, geometry, and the satisfaction of making something with my own hands and up until this year all my non-collaborative stuff was made with manual machinery (no CNC) but lately, in order to reduce some time consuming efforts I have upgraded.

You folks are producing some fabulous stuff and I've always admired hand made productions using softer and organic materials. I'll be digging into that soon enough. It will be a pleasure to interact with y'all!

Cheers,
Rich

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Welcome Rich, from far west Kentucky, to the addiction, sometimes referred to as the vortex. You mention that you have read some of the site, be sure to give the library a good bit of time. The link is at the top of the page. You will find an article called Library Index. This covers tutorials on about anything pen making you can think of. You will also notice that there are articles listed by year. Much good info there as well. When these fail to answer your questions, by all means post it here. I have never seen one go unanswered very long. You might also want to give this thread a good look. It has some very good info for the beginning pen turner; http://content.penturners.org/library/general_reference/Getting_started_in_pen_turning.pdf. Grab some wood, make some shavings and have fun all the while being safe.
Have a look at the series of videos ed4copies has just posted showing how to complete a pen from drill to finish.

Charles

Edward Cypher

Welcome Rich just down the road from you in Aurora. I am a member of the Front Range Woodturners and the Rocky Mountain Woodturners in Loveland. You should check out the Denver club it meets at Rocklers on the first tuesday of the month at 630.

flyitfast

Rich, welcome from San Antonio.
Beautiful country up there in and around Centennial. Visit it often since my daughter and son-in-law live there.
Your shop world is a whole new world to me - sounds intriging to me.
gordon

Rich L

Thanks for all the "Welcomes!"

Welcome Rich just down the road from you in Aurora. I am a member of the Front Range Woodturners and the Rocky Mountain Woodturners in Loveland. You should check out the Denver club it meets at Rocklers on the first tuesday of the month at 630.

If only I knew how to turn wood :biggrin:
I'll have to try to meet up with you guys in March - the soonest. Perhaps there's some ornamental turning we can talk about.

Rich, welcome from San Antonio.
Beautiful country up there in and around Centennial. Visit it often since my daughter and son-in-law live there.
Your shop world is a whole new world to me - sounds intriging to me.
gordon

So what is it you fly fast? Your profile picture of hand-propping doesn't seem to be going anywhere. :) I'm a Turbo Arrow owner - actually was, twice.

Bruce Robbins - great to see you here.

Cheers,
Rich

Last edited:
Top Bottom