Inlayed mulberry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ren-lathe

ren-lathe

Unfortunately the blank had a deep check through the pith but the grain & color was to nice to make stopper & pen blanks so some crushed Chrysocola went into it

Attachments

• mulberry2.jpg
    mulberry2.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 149
  • mulberry detail.jpg
    mulberry detail.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 146
  • mulberry1.jpg
    mulberry1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 134

Fred

Nice bowl and great 'save'.

I prefer to work with bowl blanks just so I can sit down and fill in all the cracks with stuff. I use System Three to seal in what ever I decide to use ... sawdust, Transtint dyes (stuff mixes very well with the System Three), etc.

If you use the Transtint dyes with System Three you can mix colors. Experiment with the dyes carefully as a single drop goes a longggggggg ways. I use painters tape as a sort of bandage to hold the System Three in place. I have found that it is far less messy to do the repair in stages if the crack goes up the side instead of across as in 'ren-lathes' fine example. Come back tomorrow and patch a bit more.

BTW, System Three will seek out the smallest crack so be sure to tape up any opening on the outside edge. The stuff turns like butter as long as you do not let the tool heat up ... then things get a bit weird and creates more work for you.

Top Bottom