Inlace Acrylester Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
Thanks for all the info....I'm going to stick with my decision to stay away from it. I have neither the patience nor the inclination to have to spend either the time or the money to deal with them. And given the fact that I like wood better anyway I don't see any reason to get frustrated by continuing to blow them. maybe I'll turn my last two until they are round then get out the sandpaper (probably not).

Smitty,

You would NOT be the first to stay away. My younger brother, who is better and more patient than me with most things swore off on that same material long ago. It does make a pretty pen, but he hated it.

I have had pretty good luck once I got my drill doctor and got comfortable with my turning tools, I've had very good luck with doing inlace pens.

However, its not a product that I'd recommend to most turners nor is it something I do often anymore. (of course its been months since my last pen of any kind so that doesn't say much :frown: )

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Thanks for all the info....I'm going to stick with my decision to stay away from it. I have neither the patience nor the inclination to have to spend either the time or the money to deal with them. And given the fact that I like wood better anyway I don't see any reason to get frustrated by continuing to blow them. maybe I'll turn my last two until they are round then get out the sandpaper (probably not).

Smitty,

You would NOT be the first to stay away. My younger brother, who is better and more patient than me with most things swore off on that same material long ago. It does make a pretty pen, but he hated it.

I have had pretty good luck once I got my drill doctor and got comfortable with my turning tools, I've had very good luck with doing inlace pens.

However, its not a product that I'd recommend to most turners nor is it something I do often anymore. (of course its been months since my last pen of any kind so that doesn't say much :frown: )
Tell me about it -- my collection still has a hole just waiting...

Dbakepah1

I've turned about 100 Inlace Acrylester blanks from pens to the large stuff for Ice Cream scoops and projects of that sort. Most of what everyone says above is true....you must have razor sharp tools, if you start to loose your ribbon or feel like you have to push the tool, sharpen it immediately! Whenever I order them I always buy an extra one or two depending on the project. Even if you did it correctly, it still might blow...just the slightest catch when you are close to your finished diameter can blow up on you.

Do not ever use Carbide tools on them, they won't work on it. Don't use scrapers on them either...shatter city!!! I use a 3/4" roughing gouge down to about 1 /32" from finished diameter, then a skew on it's side at a down angle like a scraper...sharpened with the burr up and I take out all any uneven areas and chips.

They wear like iron...nothing else on the market wears that well...I've got pens that are 5+ years old without a scratch on them, but the pen kit is wearing away. The depth and colors are amazing. But I know that when I turn one, I'm going to be taking much longer than a normal acrylic pen. You might want to go a bit slower with your lathe speed, I used to turn them around 3,000 and blew out about 1/2 of them, I now turn them around 1,500 and have far fewer problems.---Rich
I'm glad you mentioned that they wear like iron. I have made quite a few and have always wondered if they are so brittle and chip so easily while working with the material if it will crack and chip on the pen while being used/possibly dropped. I love the way the finished product looks.

Marc

Turn them fast. Almost as fast as your lathe will go.

I don't have the success rate attributed to Chasper, but I do get better than 90%. I do sand down the corners to reduce the early rough ride. I do use lots of Epoxy to glue in the tubes. Like Dan, I use the r2 radius EWT cutter. I have also had success with a carbide tipped spindle gouge and a Very Sharp skew before using the EWT cutter.

These blanks are generally a pain in the ass to develop the touch, but you can get a superior finish compared to other acryllics. I never recommend customers do these unless they have had significant time in the saddle with other acryllics. These are definitely not user friendly blanks.

Charlie_W

Yes, the inlace acrylester blanks are brittle and chippy. I take the corners off with my bandsaw and even ease the ends by sanding to make my initial turning safer. Try different tools to see what works for you.
Here is a pic of an inlace ice cream scoop I did over the holidays.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 151

Dbakepah1

Yes, the inlace acrylester blanks are brittle and chippy. I take the corners off with my bandsaw and even ease the ends by sanding to make my initial turning safer. Try different tools to see what works for you.
Here is a pic of an inlace ice cream scoop I did over the holidays.
Beautiful!

rblakemore

Inlace is a pain, with care it is very good

The inlace is very difficult to work with, chips easily, and cracks far too easily. I have lost several blanks and had to replace them; but, with perseverence and patience it is worth it. The result is great, inlace is not my first choice and I only use it when I have to.

Top Bottom