improving my shop in various ways

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

endacoz

my shop is now insulated and heated! Now I have a few others adventures to tackle.

I was just given a Delta dust collector. See pictures.
1. is there a safer / better bag I can get? Both the rockler and woodcraft locally did not have any micron filter bags. I'm trying to improve the dust and air quality.

2. do other people with a dust collector like this use a dust collection hood from the store or buy one and how do you attach the hose to your Lathe?

3.do most people with a dust collection system like mine move the dust collector around the shop as needed or do they hook it up to a system that runs throughout the shop?

the second air quality related question I have is. What do other people do to control chemical fumes like CA glue or non lathe chemicals like wood stain, finish or paint to the outside of their shop.

a window broke in my shop and I have boarded it up I was thinking about putting insulation and a three inch fan and inside the boxed window area and somehow connect it to PVC that runs a crossed my wall like a dust collection system and I can open up different flaps maybe ? depending upon where I'm using CA glue on what lathe I am using.

Attachments

• 1415518078656-349611076.jpg
    1415518078656-349611076.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 225
  • 1415518094460661554675.jpg
    1415518094460661554675.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:

robutacion

I don't know that system but, the bag if washed properly will work like new...!

I don't think the unit is powerful enough to be set in one place and have all the hoses going through various other location in your shop, you may get better results by using it close to each machine you need to use, you are only going to work with one machine at the time so, for a small system like that, you get better results that way...!

CA fumes...! well, you can spend a lot of money in protecting yourself from the fumes from CA, paints, sprays, etc., without a dedicated spray booth or a large vacuum air system to take the bad stuff out of the work place, your best option would be getting a fan that will blow the air passed you so, positioned to one side and pointed towards and exit, but I would suggest using a chemical mask if you need to use a lot of CA, as you will always breath some.

With a broken window, it would be a great opportunity to install a window fan, sucking air from the workshop, out...!

There are so many options, only the $ determine what you can get...!

Good luck,
Cheers
George

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Ethan.

I made my lathe "hood" myself. It is actually suspended from the ceiling and I can adjust it up/down, left right, angle, etc... The rack was a cheap (new) coat rack I bought from ALDI's ($9.99).

I also think your unit will not be powerful enough. I bought my Jet ( I think it's 1 HP, and wish I had bought the larger (1.5 HP). I use in between 2 lathes, with ports. So it may be losing suction as it is 5 ' away.

Busted window; sounds familiar. I put one of the "full Window" fans in mine to vent the entire basement just like George said). But I may do what you're thinking and use it for a more efficient use.

I also made a second rack for adjustable lights.

Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_0932.jpg
    IMG_0932.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_0345.jpg
    IMG_0345.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_0346.jpg
    IMG_0346.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0930.jpg
    IMG_0930.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 186

randyrls

I was just given a Delta dust collector. See pictures.
1. is there a safer / better bag I can get? Both the rockler and woodcraft locally did not have any micron filter bags. I'm trying to improve the dust and air quality.

Look for a 1 micron bag or better. A square box filter is a good idea. I've seen shop made versions.

2. do other people with a dust collector like this use a dust collection hood from the store or buy one and how do you attach the hose to your Lathe?
I made one from an example I saw here a long time ago. Thanks Curtis!!!
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f30/darn-near-perfect-penturning-lathe-dust-collection-52714/

This is mine. Magnets on the base hold it in place and a 4" adapter connects to the dust collector hose. I may make another one slightly narrower. the floor piece will stop a bit further back, and the right side will stop an inch further back.

3.do most people with a dust collection system like mine move the dust collector around the shop as needed or do they hook it up to a system that runs throughout the shop?
I have a flex hose and drag the hose where I need it.

the second air quality related question I have is. What do other people do to control chemical fumes like CA glue or non lathe chemicals like wood stain, finish or paint to the outside of their shop.
The dust collector and hood sucks up all the CA fumes nicely. A big hood works for over spray

Last edited:
Top Bottom