If I can do it, you can do it!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Texatdurango

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texatdurango

Well, after watching YoYo Spin assemble one of these I finally broke down and got a couple sets.

Watching Ed's video, he made it look real easy, quite the contrary to all the horror stories I have read over the past months with stripes not gluing in properly, etc.

Ed, If you are reading this, thanks for the video, without watching how easy this was, I doubt I would have tried them.

I always considered this to be an advanced kit but it turned out to be a piece of cake so if I can do one, anyone can!

The Stars and Stripes kit on a Jr Statesman chassis finished in CA.

2007824234537_starsandstripes.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thetalbott4

I gotta say, that is actually one of the best stars and stripes I've seen. The colors are brilliant and the fit and finish is great! Must be beginners luck? [;)] Nice work.

ken69912001

Here is one i posted earlier this week. Obviously you had much better luck than i did on my first try.I kind of wish the blue on mine was a little darker like your is.I used a Jr Emperor for mine.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27260

Texatdurango

Originally posted by ken69912001
<br />...I kind of wish the blue on mine was a little darker like your is...http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27260
Wow... what a difference in color. Now I can understand one camera taking a little different hue but yours does indeed look a lot lighter.

I heard some talk of older kits and newer kits. I wonder if what we are seeing could be an old color versus a new color?

It was fun making though wasn't it?

shawn394

Great job on the pen. I have two of these for the Baron. One is finished (need to take some pictures) and the other is glued up but not turned. I had no problems putting them together. I want to get a new style and see how they compare on the assembly.

Shawn

hughbie

hey george, answer me this please. each and every other kit i've seen here, the colors aren't as bright and brilliant as i would expect. then here comes you....WOW. what did you do to make those colors so vivid? did you happen to restain before assembly? i'm surious. that pen looks better than any others i've seen.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Hugh,

Ken told me that he had changed wood to get brighter colors. He now uses curly box elder for the blue and red, and I found it to be a great improvement.

BTW, I am former Navy as well, I hope being and ORF (Old Retired Fellow) [:D][;)] is treating you well.

Texatdurango

Originally posted by hughbie
<br />... what did you do to make those colors so vivid? did you happen to restain before assembly?...

As William said, the wood is new. Here is part of an email Ken, from http://www.kallenshaanwoods.com
, sent me when I questioned him about the light streaks... "The deeper blue wood is new. Some of the blanks do have more of the lighter streaks. I'd probably say so far its about 50-50. The wood is curly box elder. Very light curl..."

At first, I didn't care for the light streaks but after finishing the second stars section, I sat back and thought that it actually gave the impression that the flag was waving!

One thing I always do before applying a CA finish is to apply a few coats of Mylands sanding sealer. It quite often brings out the color of a blank and gets rid of the faded "washed" look you get after sanding.

Here are two tops side by side to show the differences one can expect, both, in my opinion, are pleasing and only reinforce the fact that this is indeed real wood and no two blanks are going to be identical

2007825134934_stars-tops.jpg
<br />

Texatdurango

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br /> I hope being and ORF (Old Retired Fellow) [:D][;)] is treating you well.
I'm not totally sure but I don't think <b>FELLOW</b> is what the <b>F</b> stands for! At least not what I've been referred to as. [:D]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by Texatdurango
<br />
Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br /> I hope being and ORF (Old Retired Fellow) [:D][;)] is treating you well.
I'm not totally sure but I don't think <b>FELLOW</b> is what the <b>F</b> stands for! At least not what I've been referred to as. [:D]

[}:)]Remember, it is a family site! [}:)][;)][:D][;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom