IAP MN Chapter turning day

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brian G

Only MN Chapter members and lost souls venture into the Minnesota Chapter sub-forum, so I thought that I'd post some photographs of our 3/20/16 Turning Day and Chapter Meeting here. We are grateful to Woodcraft to let us rent lathes and use their classroom for the day.

Starting on the left, Ethan (endacoz), Ed (eajacobson) playing the CNC, Brian's station (Brian G, whose rightful place is behind the camera), Wayne (stonepecker), and Tom (tah2100).

GroupTurning.jpg

Ethan brought a bunch of seam rippers, and started in on one:

EthanTurns.jpg

Before long, he won the "Golden Dustpan Award" for the largest collection turning debris.

GoldenDustpan.jpg

Wayne probably turned and pressed more pens than the rest of the group, with the aid of his fancy pen press. He had so many options behind him, too:

WaynePresses.jpg

He even knows how to use a bench brush (but maybe not a Festool vac :wink: )

WayneCleans.jpg

Tom had the most courage, wearing a Rockler turning smock to Woodcraft. He stationed by the First Aid kit just in case. Tom turned some B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L walnut cigar-style pens. They were so dark and rich that they almost looked like Irish Bog Oak. There was a moment of despair when the inkfill spring went SPROING, but it was found and that put the spring back in the group's step and Tom's pen

TomTurns.jpg

Ed, Jeff (from Woodcraft) and a customer that stopped in were overseers:

Overseers.jpg

We had snacks, lunch, and a great time. I think I took most of my turning shop with me. It was a great time turning with friends. I think we chatted more than we turned, but that was partly the point, too.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Personally, I am happy you brought your shop with you Brian. We would have been lost without it. Thanks.

I was one of the lucky people of the day. We had a PITH going and I put in three to start. Everyone put in what they wanted and you got to remove a pen for everyone you put in. I got the last three.
I got one of my own beck. I got one of Tom's beautiful creations. And I got a new design pen from Brian. Both my children tried to claim one but I managed to keep them in my collection. I am going to have to checkout that new design more..... I really like it. (What was the name again Brian)

As far as not knowing how to work that Vac........it was just to fancy for me. Never seen one so colorfull.......it did work like a charm.

Thank you Ed for being the middleman between the group and Woodcraft.
Thank you Lynn (Brian's Bride) for lunch.

Thank you Woodcraft and everyone for a wonderful day. We need to do this again real soon.

Be carefull listening to little birds Mark, ........we have some damn small woodpeckers aroung these parts.

LOL, Wayne

Last edited:

stonepecker

You were greatly missed Doug.

Hopefully, you bring at least one suitcase full of wood back with you.
Hope you got time to see Sharon and her blind students and their work. Take some pictures.

alankulwicki7

Is that the south rim Doug? We went there in '08 The canyon is just an awesome sight anytime.

Yes, this is the South Rim. The Grand Canyon is just spectacular. Pictures and videos do not do it justice and I think it's a must see for everyone! This is my second time and I still feel like I need to make a few more visits to take it all in...

Sprung

Looks like a great day was had! Even more sorry that I couldn't make it up there!

Top Bottom