ATTN: Arizona turners...meet with Mark James

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

Mark in in Tucson this week, and I have arranged to meet with him on Wednesday afternoon in Chandler for a meet & greet, and to see the IAP collection, which he is traveling with.

If you are interested in joining us, let me know. We haven't set an exact time or place yet, figuring we would see who wanted to come before finalizing that.

Sharon.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Can I join the party:laugh::laugh::laugh: ?????

And yes, I brought most of the IAP Collection (30 pens). I left a few of the more fragile ones, similar ones, and those that may get fussy going from 60% humidity to 8% humidity...

Watch here for the time as soon as Sharon and I get settled; but Wednesday looks fine for me.

sbwertz

Right now we are planning on meeting at Woodcraft in Chandler (Elliot and AZ Ave) and then going up to the IHOP for coffee. Mark, we can come anytime after about 1pm. I have to take my husband to the eye doctor at 11 am, and we can come from there.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Sure, I'm in AZ for the week but you have to be in Phoenix while we are up in the Grand Canyon :eek:
Any chance you'll be around Friday or Saturday?

Sadly Doug, I'm going home Thursday AM. This was a spur-of-the moment trip. I'm staying with a College buddy while he and his family are on Easter Vacation in Tucson - they needed a designated adult for a few days and I voluntered!!!

My buddy is a fitness guru. Today I logged 21,000 steps on fitbit - a 4.5 hr hike in the mountains. No square dancing tonight... Maybe a pair of snowshoes (ask Stonepecker).

But... If all goes well, I put the second weekend in November on the calendar to come to the Minnesota meeting. :good:

stonepecker

"...........they needed a designated adult for a few days and I voluntered!!!" posted by Mark

Send him (your friend) back to school for some more education. LMAO thinking of Mark being the 'designated adult'.
really have to let everyone know this.....
When it comes to pens and most of all to the IAP collection......Mark is like a kid in a candy store. He can't make up his mind which one he likes the best. I actually watched his hands shake taking out some of the pens and handing them to me to inspect as he told me the story behind the pen. He has so much respect for the makers of these pen. You can hear it in his voice and see it in the way his eyes light up with each pen.

One of the best things.........I call him my Friend.

Last edited:

sbwertz

Were your ears burning? Chuck?

We had a great visit. The pens were breathtaking....some of them defy description. The staff at Woodcraft were as fascinated as we were.

Thank you Mark, for taking the time to come down and show them to us. And thanks to your friend for bringing you.

Only one of my trainers was able to make it, but he went away stunned by the beauty and inspired by the innovations he saw. He is going to be a very good turner...he is ALREADY a very good turner...he is going to be a great turner someday! I think my favorite was George's Apple burl pen. Awesome! (#14)

See the whole collection here

http://www.penturners.org/photos/index.php?c=21

Sharon

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
:biggrin: Mark is a super person as, I'm sure you figured out on your own. I'm glad you got to see the collection. We have some amazing talent in our community. :wink:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Just got back home a few hrs ago.

No Chuck... I can't trash talk you until you get off your butt and send me a polished stick!!! :wink:

So, onto Arizona!​

THIS IS ONE OF THE PURPOSES OF THE IAP COLLECTION:​
TO DISPLAY IT!!!​

This was a quickly planned trip (an invite from an old College friend of my wife and I), so the planning was not the best. However, It was great to meet Sharon , her delightful husband and one of the trainers for the Turners with a Visual Impairment in Tucson.

It is an honor for me to bring this collection to as many IAP members as I can. While my memory serves me, I have a story about most of the pens as to how they came about - I will write these all out for future IAP Collection Curators to have as a reference from the far distant beginnings!!! :eek:

So, The IAP Collection has visited Arizona (A truly wonderful state. My friend's Fit Bit logged 43,000 steps in 3 days (YES, I was there for every step)... My feet are pi..ed!).

Finally, Sharon: Your volunteer work with the visually impaired is inspiring beyond words!

Pens are great, friends are even better,

but combining the two with facilitating others to achieve goals beyond what most of us can fathom (i.e., turning a pen with excellent quality with a visual challenge...).

Well, my hat is off to you!!! Carry on and be well!

Mark

Last edited:
Top Bottom