I need someone to...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RonSchmitt

I have a piece of sheet metal that measures approx: .95mm thick and 23mm x 25mm square. Is there anyone who would like to try forming this around a tube and casting it?

Kit style could be a Baron, Jr Gent II or Cigar.
I realize it will not cover the whole tube, but that can be worked out with painting the tube.

PM or email me for more details.

Thanks,
Ron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

What metal?

Ferrus metal would be best done red hot.

Copper or brass might have a chance at cold forming.

The piece is small and the ends will be a challenge to bend

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
You might be able to roll or form the metal, but I suspect that the paint would simply crack off especially as you would be stretching it as the metal was bent.
If the piece of metal is valued then perhaps recess it into a desk stand and make a pen that has some suitable engraving on it.

I hope you don't wreck it and it ends up the same way as the car:eek::biggrin:

KenV

Probably steel given the source. The edges might give a hint, and weight would give it away if it was light.

Too small to run through the roller setup I have.

You should expect to lose most if not all the paint to the metal distortion working it cold and for sure if worked hot.

Neat idea though

randyrls

You might try to take a detailed, close up, macro photo of the piece. Just in case.

The idea to embed the piece in a desk set is a good one. The photo could be embedded in a pen and covered with acrylic. You could even touch up the photo and stretch it to cover the entire pen or blanks.

Added later; A friend of mine does the "paint jobs" for race cars. They are just VERY LARGE heat shrink decals. I'm not sure when this technique started, but you may find that the paint is a decal over the metal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom