Had a custom click failure...thoughts???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

Had a bit of a shocker today when I saw my Dad. We see the same ENT and last time I was in he bought this pen off me:

Today when my Dad saw him he brought in the pen and asked if I could fix it for him. Now this was my carry pen when he bought it so I knew it worked flawlessly. Today though the click mechanism won't seat. The threads on that end have been stripped out. Take off the clip and it will thread on and work just fine.

My question is this. Do you think the threads got ruined bc of the pressure build up from the refill and sping being under tension? That's the only thing I can think of. There was no wobble in the click prior. The threads were nice and snug. Now I don't know if the Doc liked to fidget with it and unthread it constantly or not. That could wear them out really fast. The material is alumilite so could the metal of the mech ruin the threads like that?

My idea to fix it was to just cut off the bad threads and rechase with the tap. However, I'm worried this might happen again if I don't fix the real issue. So instead should I try and turn a plug from something like aluminum and epoxy that in place & drill and tap for the mech? That'd be metal on metal and wouldn't wear out if it is from constant unthreading. Or would it just be best to glue the mech in the alumilite and only have the nib unthread for changing the refill (btw it still had the original refill I put in there for him)?

Thoughts....?

Rereading and thought I'd elaborate a little. What I meant with the pressure build up was when the pen is in use and being used (pen against paper/hard surface underneath). There isn't much if any tension while the refill is retracted.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Is it possible he sat on it bending the click mechanism to strip the thread or he puts side pressure on it when he clicks it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner because I can't reach my desktop!

frank123

Try drilling and sleeving it with ABS rod and threading that. That will make a pretty near fail proof strong thread. Rubberized CA works well to glue it in.

Top Bottom