I need a collect chuck but I know not why?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lenny

Ok, I know that I absolutely must have a collet chuck and plan to order the PSI model. My question is what are my reasons for needing one .... just in case I get interrogated. :eek::eek:

1. Drilling pen blanks on the lathe ... check
2. :confused:
3.:confused:
4.:confused:
would love to know what you use yours for .... pics help me a lot if you got' em!
Thanks! :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnnycnc

Yes, yes you must have one.
just order now and ask forgiveness later.:wink:
I have a Beall and the PSI and the PSI is a great deal with the collets it comes with and all good quality+.

Uses, you got the drilling blanks....how about:
>holding "rods" to turn closed ends
>holding small pieces to turn custom finials and the like on the ends
>hold chuck for bottle stoppers
> hold rods to turn custom centerbands.. and part off

It's one of the accesories I wouldn't want to be without.
You'll ask yourself why didn't I do this sooner after you get it and have a chance to play.

John

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
My "other(better) half" does not know what one is or that I have one so I must go hide it now that shee saw this thread.

Texatdurango

Lenny, I think rather than boring you with reasons why, I'd just like to say that I haven't had my Beall collet chuck off of my Jet mini lathe in months for any reason.

I made several pens both kit and kitless, did all the drilling, turning, sanding, applying CA finishes and polishing. I guess you can get used to doing anything a certain way and I really believe that I have created several short cuts, introduced more accuracy into my pen making and basically enjoy my time at the lathe more now so for me, that's what it's all about.

I think you'll enjoy using the collet chuck.

PenMan1

+1 on never taking it off the lathe. I use mine for everything.

If you use medium CA for finishing, stick a piece of masking tape over "springy" part of the collet when finishing. I big messy CA splash can glue the collet to the chuck body. DAMHIKT. :)

islandturner

My question is what are my reasons for needing one .... just in case I get interrogated.

1. Drilling pen blanks on the lathe

I'm glad you brought this up Lenny -- I've been 'soul searching' about this, too. I can see how useful the collets would be.

A question about drilling blanks -- how accurately must the square blank be turned round, to use in a collet? Can it be out say, 1/16" from one end to the other, for a 3" blank? Out 1/8"? How close does it have to be?

And is it true that you can use anything in a collet that is now used in a drill chuck (as below)? (drill bits, pen mills, etc)?

Thanks
Steve

images

PaulDoug

I don't keep my collet chuck on the lathe at all times but I do use it more than any other type of chuck. It is very useful for small turnings. Now if you turned only larger items, bowls, platters, etc. I wouldn't see much use for one.

Steve, not sure I understand the questions above. You can put anything in a collet chuck you can in a drill chuck provided you have the correct size collet. I don't use a drill chuck in the headstock side. You really need both.

hewunch

If PSI is out. Contact www.woodzone.com in Columbia, SC. They are PSI resellers and good people and the last time I was in there they had a few in stock. You will probably have to call them on the phone for it as it is not listed on their website.

ldb2000

If your not in a big rush you can watch Amazon . They run it on sale for as low as $74.99 with free shipping but not all the time so you gotta watch for it .

Texatdurango

Lenny,

Beyond the set you are looking at purchasing, I would suggest you consider ordering two more individual collets.

Keep in mind that the largest cylinder you can chuck in the 3/4" collet is indeed .750". Anything, even a hair larger, say .758" WILL NOT fit into the collet and seat properly. I found a place that sells collets larger than 3/4" and provided the link below. Have a look at the "Clamping range" column on their sizing chart and you will see the benefits of ordering a few extra collets.

I ordered the 20mm and 13/16" collets which give me the best overlapping coverage over .750". Ordering the 25/32 is not necessary since the 20mm range is wider.

Now, I can clamp up rods that are as thick as .813" using my er-32 collets. This is important since many times the pre-rounded acrylic blanks you will find for sale are a hair larger than .750 and won't fit in a 3/4" collet and most ebonite rods are wider than .750 as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ER-32-HI-PRECIS...m&pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item4836b371d4

randyrls

A question about drilling blanks -- how accurately must the square blank be turned round, to use in a collet? Can it be out say, 1/16" from one end to the other, for a 3" blank? Out 1/8"? How close does it have to be?

I believe these are ER32 collets. If so you can get a complete set that will cover the entire range of sizes from 1/16" to 3/4+" or about 1mm to 20mm. Each collet will cover about 1/16" or about 1mm. Try for a set of metric collets; they cover the entire range. Imperial collets have a few "gaps" in clamping size. The metric collets come in a complete 18 piece set covering the entire range

PS. Don't try to insert a large piece into a smaller collet or you will "spring" the collet.

Lenny

Lenny,

Beyond the set you are looking at purchasing, I would suggest you consider ordering two more individual collets.

Keep in mind that the largest cylinder you can chuck in the 3/4" collet is indeed .750". Anything, even a hair larger, say .758" WILL NOT fit into the collet and seat properly. I found a place that sells collets larger than 3/4" and provided the link below. Have a look at the "Clamping range" column on their sizing chart and you will see the benefits of ordering a few extra collets.

I ordered the 20mm and 13/16" collets which give me the best overlapping coverage over .750". Ordering the 25/32 is not necessary since the 20mm range is wider.

Now, I can clamp up rods that are as thick as .813" using my er-32 collets. This is important since many times the pre-rounded acrylic blanks you will find for sale are a hair larger than .750 and won't fit in a 3/4" collet and most ebonite rods are wider than .750 as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ER-32-HI-PRECIS...m&pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item4836b371d4

Thanks George! I like that he sells them individually. I think those sizes would be used quite a bit.

Lenny

If your not in a big rush you can watch Amazon . They run it on sale for as low as $74.99 with free shipping but not all the time so you gotta watch for it .

Thanks Butch,
I had read your advise about watching Amazon in a post you made on another thread. I have been watching (for a very short while) but I guess I'm not very patient. :tongue:

dankc908

I can see that I would, in all likelihood, need the additional collet or two. Will this collet system work with square blanks (drilling) or would I need another piece of equipment to drill my blanks?

Dan

Texatdurango

I can see that I would, in all likelihood, need the additional collet or two. Will this collet system work with square blanks (drilling) or would I need another piece of equipment to drill my blanks?

Dan

Dan, Collets are designed to clamp around cylinders. I always just stick a steb center into the headstock side and a live center in the tailstock end to turn blanks round. You can modify a morse taper steb center so it fits into a collet. That way you never have to remove the collet holder at all. :)

Lenny

Dan, Collets are designed to clamp around cylinders. I always just stick a steb center into the headstock side and a live center in the tailstock end to turn blanks round. You can modify a morse taper steb center so it fits into a collet. That way you never have to remove the collet holder at all. :)

Can you describe how you modified it? ... Is a metal lathe involved?:confused:

Texatdurango

Can you describe how you modified it? ... Is a metal lathe involved?:confused:

Lenny, Have a look at post #69 in this thread.... http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?p=958046#post958046

It describes how I took a standard Sorby steb drive and cut it down to fit into a 3/4" collet. I also took some #3 morse taper dead centers, cut them in half and turned them into a cylinder so they too would fit into a 3/4" collet.

Yes, I used my metal lathe to trim both the steb drives and dead centers.

I would be happy to modify them for you but everything is boxed up for the summer.

Lenny

I remember that thread now...:)
I will keep that in mind for down the road ... I'm all for things that make it quicker/easier/less hassle. :)

Lenny

Lenny,

<snip>

George, or anyone else who has ordered from Discount-tools, I tried to purchase three collets with the buy now option and it didn't give me a choice to change the quantity. I have paid for the one collet through paypal but attempts to email or message the seller have gone without a reply so far. :confused::frown:
I even called a number listed and left a message. Someone called me back later and said they haven't ever listed anything on ebay and I must have the wrong number (possible I guess) :confused:
I really hope this isn't another bad ebay deal for me ... seems like they are getting more common.

Texatdurango

George, or anyone else who has ordered from Discount-tools, I tried to purchase three collets with the buy now option and it didn't give me a choice to change the quantity. I have paid for the one collet through paypal but attempts to email or message the seller have gone without a reply so far. :confused::frown:
I even called a number listed and left a message. Someone called me back later and said they haven't ever listed anything on ebay and I must have the wrong number (possible I guess) :confused:
I really hope this isn't another bad ebay deal for me ... seems like they are getting more common.

Don't know what to say, I ordered two collets and if memory serves I made two seperate transactions since it was free shipping. They did come in one box though.

Their website is: http://www.discount-tools.com/er-collet-indexmain1.htm

I have ordered several tools from them for my metal lathe, never a problem yet but these days a business can turn on a dime!

Lenny

Called again to day and got him. Worked the whole thing out in less than a minute. I think I had dialed the wrong number before :redface::rolleyes:

I really like my new collet chuck! Thanks again George and all the others who have helped twist my arm and steer me in the right direction! :)

Top Bottom