I may have a new favorite burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

I got a couple pieces of this recently to see what it really looked like. So I spun a piece of it round tonight and polished it up for pictures on my website, no pen yet. Well, I came upstairs and ordered 15 more just to make sure I don't run out any time soon.

Any guesses what it is?

Attachments

• burl1.jpg
    burl1.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 439
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenPal

Timber

Golden Amboyna, bought me a heap of sticks cut for pool cues shared them at cost at the time sure is a favourite of mine, very stable andfinishes well.

Peter.

Hmm. Send me all the pieces you have, I'll turn them into pens, sell them and see if my customers have any idea what they are.

Great looking piece of wood, good find.

I am going with cherry burl as well.

Russianwolf

And we have a winner!!!!

She is a Teak Burl that I got from Griffin Exotic Wood (not Griffin Erotic Wood :eek: Just for you Ed and Dawn).

My previous favorite (still a big fan, don't get me wrong) was Bill's Stabilized High Figure Russian-Olive Burl, but this is damn near as good looking. Since Bill doesn't have any of the ROB right now, I'll have to swap over to the Teak.

Last edited:

PenPal

Wow

I am impressed, Teak indeed my experiences with Teak have not been that glamorous, if I thought it was Ok I would love to photograph my Golden Amboyna to show alongside the Teak they sure do look alike. I have one of the largest Australian Burl getters and sellers to the USA 5 mins from my place and could literally blow your sensibilities with Burled Broad Leafed Mallee with black lined around the sort of birds eye burl in your Teak.

Unfortunately we do not have the outstanding cheap freight like you have with USPS that allows me to receive up to 15 or so blanks for 12.80 from the USA. Some of our timbers are really heavy and dense such as the beautiful Red Mallees Burled and Red Box Burled or Tasmanian Burled Huon pine in fact hundreds of truly stunning timbers.

I agree with you in having favourite timbers for various reasons. We could all successfully play the game guess what this timber is as so many colour variations using digital cameras in themselves change them so they can be hard to identify. I
had the privilige of working with one of the Authors of Forest Trees of Australia who would only identify timber from samples of fruits,leaves and Timber to get a classification.

With our dollar in freefall following the crash in America I will content myself cutting up my stash recently cut and dried 60 kilos of colour.

Thank you for the stimulation of your question but dread the thought of many people doing that since there are not enough hours in the day for it to receive attention.

Have a happy new year. Peter

BruceA

Source for Teak Burl

Woodturningz.com has Teak Burl blanks available for $6.95 in stock. I purchased a batch a few weeks ago, and they look super. Haven't turned any yet...

Top Bottom