Can someone clarify this mess for me?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woody350ep

I am getting an order together for the CSUSA order and I need some help. I have never done any of the Gents/Statesman. I know it has been stated on here, but I couldn't find it, so can someone please detail for me what bushings are compatible with what? Also, what style is postable and what isnt? IOW, in order for me to know, are the postable ones the pens with threads on both ends, and the non-postable the ones with just threads at the cap?

IIRC, I read the Jr Gents II and Jr Statesman II bushings are compatible. Does this mean the regular Gents and Statesman bushings are also compatible?

Also, what is the main diff between the Jr and full blown versions? A little size difference or something?

Finally, do you guys find one sells better than the other? I am trying to get a few higher class pens in my repertoire and I am lost as to which way to go with this. Thanks for the help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

the drill bits for the JR. Gent, Jr. Statesman, and Jr. Emperor all are the same.

the bushings for the Jr. Statesman and Jr. Gent are the same, the Jr. Emperor is slightly different.

The postable is the type with threads on both ends and is available only on the Jr.s

The full size Gents, Statesman, and Emperor are just different in size.

I'm not sure about the bushing on the full size, but just look at the catalog item number and you'll be able to tell. I know it's the same part number for the bushings on the Jr. Statesman and Jr. Gent.

OKLAHOMAN

The Retro also will use the same Bits and bushings as the Jr Gent and Jr. Statemans. BTW all 3 use the same tubes also so if you wanted extra tubes that makes it a lot easier.

Jim Smith

I don't know if you're interested or not or if you can wait a few more days to place your order, but I believe that there will be a group buy to CUSA on the 5th through the 12th and you can say ~25% on your order if you purchase it through the group buy. Just a thought...

Jim Smith

Rudy Vey

I am getting an order together for the CSUSA order and I need some help. I have never done any of the Gents/Statesman. I know it has been stated on here, but I couldn't find it, so can someone please detail for me what bushings are compatible with what? Also, what style is postable and what isnt? IOW, in order for me to know, are the postable ones the pens with threads on both ends, and the non-postable the ones with just threads at the cap?

IIRC, I read the Jr Gents II and Jr Statesman II bushings are compatible. Does this mean the regular Gents and Statesman bushings are also compatible?

Also, what is the main diff between the Jr and full blown versions? A little size difference or something?

Finally, do you guys find one sells better than the other? I am trying to get a few higher class pens in my repertoire and I am lost as to which way to go with this. Thanks for the help.

Gentleman's Jr II, Statesman Jr and Jr Retro use the same drill bits, bushings and tubes - so you can prepare blanks, turn and then decide what goes best with what kit - I do this for Retro and Statesman Jr, don't make the Gent Jr II.
The Gentleman's and the Statesman - both pretty big and heavy pens in my opinion - also use same bushings, drills and tubes.

In regards to selling, the large pens do not sell well at all - but thats only for me. I out-sold this year numberwise ball point pens with rollerball pens (mainly the Retro and Statesman Jr, and also sold quite a number of fountain pens. I have always a few FP kits (nib section plus cartrigdes and converter pumps) around at a show, so I can convert from a RB to FP in a few seconds! I have done this at least four times last season!
My customers and I prefer the postable version of the Statesman Jr, I sold only one non-postable last season (and I will not longer make them) - it is funny, as soon as someone picks up a capped pen to try it out, they always want to post the cap.
In regards to plating, I only use the Rhodium/Black Titanium versions - I personally do not like the Titaniumgold of CSUSA, it looks brassy to me (Berea does a much better job with TiGold). Others may have a different opinion, but when you display a TiGold Baron next to a TiGold Retro/Gent Jr, you will see the difference quite well, so they have to be separated.

follow3

I like the Jr.'s. The Gent. Jr., postable is one of my favorite and best sellers. Another favorite and good seller, but often overlooked is the Jr. Gent. ball point. (twist pen) That is what I carry for my every day user.
The Retro's are nice as well. If you want fancier, high end, you can't go wrong with any that you have listed. When I started buying the better kits I did the same thing it looks like you are thinking about, I went with a bunch that were compatible with each other.

woody350ep

Thanks for all the info, that is exactly what I was looking for. I was leaning towards the Jr Gent II postable myself, and like you Rudy, I don't care for gold titanium look.

Jim - that is exactly why I was doing all of this comparison. I want to have some nicer (read: more expensive) pens available to help out the sales of my slims and cigars and the like. I figured what better time than with 25% off? lol

Top Bottom