I just had to do another one!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

I had made two box blanks thinking I'd majorly screw one of them up. Well...my first one came out great so I did my 2nd one today. Now that I have a feel for turning them it went alot faster. Again, the blank is one of my castings of Alumilite. The raw blank was approx 3"x3" round. I had this one in mind for a good friend and she likes clean lines so I didn't do much as far as body style goes. I will say these things can be addicting to turn! I need to work on my finishing but I might take it to the buffer if I really feel brave :eek:

As always, thanks for looking and for any comments!

100_3941700x695.jpg
100_3945700x663.jpg
100_3946700x575.jpg
100_3955700x566.jpg
100_3956700x563.jpg
100_3963700x499.jpg

On the 2nd to last pic (inside of cap) I forgot to wipe off the dust before taking the pic! :redface:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

He turns awesome pens, he cast awesome blanks and now he turns awesome lidded boxes! I'm beginning to think that if it involves a lathe, Jonathon can do it, and do it well.

Brooks803

WOW I cant stop starring at the inside the swirls are mesmerizing.

Yea me too! I had it out in the sunlight earlier and man it draws you in and keeps you there! I'm seriously addicted now :hypnotized:

Wow. Is that about the size of a bottle stopper blank or larger?

No it's a bit larger. The blank started out 3x3" and now it's about 2.5x2.5" I didn't take much off this one.

He turns awesome pens, he cast awesome blanks and now he turns awesome lidded boxes! I'm beginning to think that if it involves a lathe, Jonathon can do it, and do it well.

yeah we'll see if that holds up if I ever try bowl turning and hollow forms :eek:

I just wish this alumilite wasn't so dang expensive! I'm gonna figure out the math to see how much each blank costs to make.

But does it glow in the dark...;) nice job again.

Yeah yeah yeah....well ALL can't have seriously cool glow in the dark boxes now can we Russell :wink:

Brooks803

WOW I cant stop starring at the inside the swirls are mesmerizing.

I think I just saw something evil down in there? Way too cool swirling!!!

Scott (did you pour that) B

Thanks Scott, I did pour it up. The purple on the inside peaks out behind all the black and it just sucks you in and won't let you go :hypnotized:

That's really cool Jonathon. I think every girl should have one.:biggrin:

Thanks Chuck, I think so too! Just gotta get mom and dad to fork out the dough...these things aren't cheap to make!

Thanks everyone for the kind words! My wife and I gave this one to our good friend earlier today and she absolutely loved it!

Brooks803

very cool. may i ask what you molded that blank in?

Nothing special. It was just this plastic container I found at hobby lobby a long time ago. I was using it to hold my stir sticks and other stuff. I'm sure there are some tupperware type containers that would work just as well.

Top Bottom