I did another stupid thing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drcal

I am trying to become a sit-down turner due to back problems. I built a great short stand but realize that I need to extend the base to avoid tip over.

It means adding a 2X4 foot---- seems like no problem BUT I have already bolted the lathe to the stand. It was a nightmare lining up the holes for the bolts to secure the lathe to the bench. I do not want to remove the lathe and put the stand on its side and easily drill holes for the bolts.

Therefore, I have tried to crawl under the bench (only 16" high) and drill holes. I can't get enough force behind the drill to be able to drill a 3/8" hole in a 2X12. I have tried different bits but there is not enough force to drill through. I have used a corded drill and my cordless Bosch.

Any suggestions?

Carmen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

I am trying to become a sit-down turner due to back problems. I built a great short stand but realize that I need to extend the base to avoid tip over.

It means adding a 2X4 foot---- seems like no problem BUT I have already bolted the lathe to the stand. It was a nightmare lining up the holes for the bolts to secure the lathe to the bench. I do not want to remove the lathe and put the stand on its side and easily drill holes for the bolts.

Therefore, I have tried to crawl under the bench (only 16" high) and drill holes. I can't get enough force behind the drill to be able to drill a 3/8" hole in a 2X12. I have tried different bits but there is not enough force to drill through. I have used a corded drill and my cordless Bosch.

Any suggestions?

Carmen

Well, I'm trying to visualize the lathe and bench position and the first thing that came to mind was, is it possible to tilt the whole thing in such way that you expose the area you need to work on, in a easier way...??? depending on how big and heavy the lathe and bench are, you may need some spare hands to tilt it over...!

PS: Pics always helps...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom