I Could Have Cried

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

But I didn't . .

And I could have swore . . but I didn't.

But there was a resounding OH NO ! ! !

I glued up a nice board with a bunch of exotic plus local woods this morning . Checked the thickness with my digital calipers in order to set the right angle for the rings to be cut at . Caliper was acting up a little with numbers dancing around and I didn't really know why so proceed as usual and set my angle a few thousands of an inch wrong from not getting a consistent caliper reading . Didn't realize it until I set the second ring on top of the first one and found it was WAY out . So off to the dollar store to get a new battery for my digital caliper and re-measured and re-set my angle for what was left of the board .

So two rings that were going to be the top of a 9" bowl went into the designer firewood box and what was left over will make a 7 1/4" bowl when I get it sanded down and finished .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W.Y.

I would take those two 'mistakes' in a heart beat.
Not only a ring for a wall clock but a frame for a mirror that I would engrave.

I don't see any problem either.

OH yeah , I like the mirror idea even better . I shy away from clocks after having made so many of them in another life.
I might get an estimate from a local glass man to see how much it would cost for then to make a mirror that size to fit .

plantman

Bill; I could see your original design right away !! A nice bowl for the table with a matching framed mirror hanging over it. There are few mistakes in woodworking, just a representation of the original plan. :rolleyes: Great looking glueup. Jim S

W.Y.

Well , what was left of the mistake turned into a fairly decent bowl and I have saved those two top rings for future use after I decide on what to turn them into from so many suggestions here and elsewhere.

W.Y.

I thought it looked like plenty of wood to turn down those two rings. I've done bowls with less than 1/8" walls.

So have I from a one piece block of wood . But your 1/8" wall probably didn't have a glue joint. Whenever a ring is out that much on the outside , it is out the same amount on the inside leaving very little in the middle when levelling it out from both sides . . Yes , it would have survived a 1/8" wall but I would not feel right about a glue joint that thin on a large bowl .

William I always enjoy looking at your creations you make with the Bowl Master system. I thought the creations were amazing.. I purchases a Bowl Master system to use on my Jet 1642 and have not been able to use it comfortably. There is a lot of vibration during the cutting of the disk. Do you experience anything like that. I contacted the company and they said they have never had that experience before from anyone. I did get the PAG and some other accessories and have been trying to work thru the vibration issue. If you have any advice please let me know. Thanks and keep showing us that beautiful work.

W.Y.

William I always enjoy looking at your creations you make with the Bowl Master system. I thought the creations were amazing.. I purchases a Bowl Master system to use on my Jet 1642 and have not been able to use it comfortably. There is a lot of vibration during the cutting of the disk. Do you experience anything like that. I contacted the company and they said they have never had that experience before from anyone. I did get the PAG and some other accessories and have been trying to work thru the vibration issue. If you have any advice please let me know. Thanks and keep showing us that beautiful work.

PM sent Jim

Top Bottom