I Compiled a Beginners-Starters List of Equipment/Tools. Please Critique.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CoastalRyan

I completed my initial order. It took a few weeks to sort it out. There's probably cheaper ways to go about this, maybe better ways but this was the way I choose to do it. So at least here's one point of reference or path a beginner can take.

I will be doing my drilling and buffing with the lathe, at least for now. Eventually I'll replace drilling with a drill press and polishing with a some kind of stand alone unit.

I'd like to eventually add a complete set of wood turning tools and sharpening system/equipment but for the first month or so I can get by with the Pen Genie.

- Nova Comet II Lathe ordered online from Woodturningz - 454.95

- Dedicated Pen Blank Drilling Chuck from Woodturningz - 76.95

- 27/64 drill bit from Woodturningz - 7.50

- MT2 Dead Center from Woodturningz - 9.50

- Live 60* tailstock center from PSI - 15.95

- 1/2 Drill Chuck MT2 from PSI - 29.95

- Carbide Magic Pen Genie from PSI - 59.95

- 3 step lathe buffing system from PSI - 54.95

- 9 pack micro mesh sanding pads from PSI - 24.95

- Multi pack 150-600 grit rolls from PSI - 22.95

- Pen insertion tool from PSI - 10.95

- 7mm barrel trimmer, carbide from PSI - 24.50

- Barrel Trimming Sleeve for Gatsby kits from PSI - 3.95

- 10 pack cocobolo 5/8 x 5/8 x 5 from PSI - 14.95

- 4 Gatsby Chrome and Gunmetal kits from PSI - 27.80

- Between Centers Bushings from Penturners Products AKA Johnnycnc here on the forum - 10.00

- 1/2 Ton Arbor Press Harbor Freight - 35.99

So after shipping since I made these purchases over a few weeks I'm in it for about 950 bucks. Keeping it under a grand with 4 warm up kits and wood.

There's a lot more I need to get but I figured from here on out I can pick things up as I go. I didn't get anything finish wise so the first few kits will just get polished and then I can start to decide what avenue I'll take from there.

Still open to hearing any additional suggestions, must have or go to items that I don't have.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tim'sTurnings

It looks like you are off to a great start Ryan. You have a lot more to start with than I did when I started. You will find out pretty soon what else you are going to need, even though you "think" you know. lol.
I see the pen genie is a carbide scraper, I don't have one but I can see it on the PSI site. I hope you can use it at an angle like you would a skew or a gouge. I have not had good luck by using a scraper on pen blanks. I usually got a ruined/blow-out blank when I was near the ends of the piece. I only use a spindle gouge, versa chisel or skew on my blanks now.
Good luck, Tim.

Last edited:

CoastalRyan

I can see with a squared rod leading to the tip that it would make it a lot harder to approach at an angle. I may have to go bigger and sand more if it doesn't work exactly how it needs to. I definitely need to add more chisels. Pretty high on my list.

lucky13

I would highly recommend this band saw Craftsman Band Saw: Make Every Cut Count with Sears instead of the blade runner thing that you have listed. I just picked this saw up yesterday and for the money I would have to say it is one of the best band saws I have used. And considering it is the same price as the saw that you have listed you get a lot more diversity with a band saw. I would also recommend instead of a live center, get a mandrel saver to use with your pen mandrel, it is almost as good as TBC because all the pressure is placed on the bushings instead of the mandrel it self. Just my 2cents worth.

Last edited:

LagniappeRob

Only scanned the thread, but didn't notice anyone mention it...I'd not go with the Blade Runner. Max cutting depth is 1 1/2" - that would severely limit you on anything bigger than pens.

I have a Comet II as well. Took longer than they said to get it, and got the run around from Nova about it, but when it did show up, I was pleased with it. There's been a couple little things with it. The reversing switch is in a bad spot IMHO. Getting my big hands in there to align everything was painful (literally!). I wish it had a little wide stand front to back. But overall it was well spent money. BTW - I found my grinding wheel for it on Amazon... cheap but then they change prices all the time so you never know... put it in your cart then use the "save for later" link and it'll keep you informed about price changes.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I would highly recommend this band saw Craftsman Band Saw: Make Every Cut Count with Sears instead of the blade runner thing that you have listed. I just picked this saw up yesterday and for the money I would have to say it is one of the best band saws I have used. And considering it is the same price as the saw that you have listed you get a lot more diversity with a band saw. I would also recommend instead of a live center, get a mandrel saver to use with your pen mandrel, it is almost as good as TBC because all the pressure is placed on the bushings instead of the mandrel it self. Just my 2cents worth.
I have a Ryobi BS1001SV that was pretty inexpensive and does everything I ask of it....as I recall it was only about $129.00 at Home Depot but that was probably 5 years ago.

CoastalRyan

Only scanned the thread, but didn't notice anyone mention it...I'd not go with the Blade Runner. Max cutting depth is 1 1/2" - that would severely limit you on anything bigger than pens.

I have a Comet II as well. Took longer than they said to get it, and got the run around from Nova about it, but when it did show up, I was pleased with it. There's been a couple little things with it. The reversing switch is in a bad spot IMHO. Getting my big hands in there to align everything was painful (literally!). I wish it had a little wide stand front to back. But overall it was well spent money. BTW - I found my grinding wheel for it on Amazon... cheap but then they change prices all the time so you never know... put it in your cart then use the "save for later" link and it'll keep you informed about price changes.
Thankfully mine came quick. 4 days. But I could have killed the UPS guy. I watched him drive right past my house, stop at my neighbors, successfully dragged the box out of his van without a dolly, stopped halfway up my neighbors driveway and left it there. Then drove off.

Woodturningz was smart enough to put the package into a second box so there wasn't any damage.

CoastalRyan

I have a Ryobi BS1001SV that was pretty inexpensive and does everything I ask of it....as I recall it was only about $129.00 at Home Depot but that was probably 5 years ago.
There is one there at that price but a different model number. Ideally the more I think about it the more I'd like to add one that stands on its own to save counter space. Since I don't need one immediately I'm still going to look for a good used one. Estate sales or resale shops come across these regularly.

BSea

Looking through your shopping list, the only thing I'd have questioned was the tube insertion tool. I never used mine after the 1st try. But I wish I could say I only spent on tools by $10.95.:rolleyes:

I did find a good use for it though. I have the beall buffing system (which I love). I use the tube insertion tool to hold the blanks so they aren't pulled from my hands. If you ever get one of those systems, you'll understand.:) It doesn't work well on 7mm tubes, but for anything larger, it's great.

stonepecker

PLEASE...... Get a face shield and at least some disposable masks. Flying wood can make deep dents at high speed. And some of that dust is toxic to breath.

CoastalRyan

PLEASE...... Get a face shield and at least some disposable masks. Flying wood can make deep dents at high speed. And some of that dust is toxic to breath.
I should have put safety goggles on my list but I already owned a pair. I hadn't put much thought into disposable masks. I thought the level of toxicity had more to do with allergic reaction or how sensitive those are to certain woods.

walshjp17

Safety glasses are good for protecting your eyes, but they will not protect your mouth or nose from flying wood. Do get a face shield with some pretty rigid plexiglass. You will not be sorry. Face masks will help keep sanding dust out of your lungs ... it does not need to be toxic to affect your breathing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom